Thread: Flight Sergeant Lionel Francis Martin Saunders

Thanks

Default Flight Sergeant Lionel Francis Martin Saunders

I am trying to find out information about me father who I was told served in Bomber Command from 1943-1945.
    He was Flight Sergeant Lionel Francis Martin Saunders
    b: 06-02-1912
    He survived the war, but like many servicemen, could not adjust back to a civilian role, and after he departed from the family, no-one would speak about him.
    I would like to find out which squadron he would have been in, and hopefully a service number so that I might be able to find out more about the missions, etc.

Thanking you in advance
    Digby Saunders

Thanks

Default Research

Digby
    I am sorry to say that I found on Ancestry that he passed away in Southampton in March 1987. However if you get the death certificate you can then obtain a copy of his service record. It is in Volume 20 page 1559 of the death registry. If you go to this webpage http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/Personnel/ServiceRecords/MakingARequestForInformationHeldOnThePersonnelReco rdsOfDeceasedServicePersonnel.htm it will tell you how to request the service record. Make sure you get a photocopy not a transcription. It will help you find out more. The guys on here will help you understand it. By the way if your mother is still alive then she will be able to obtain the record free. It does take a while to arrive so dont panic if it doesnt come yesterday.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Dee

Thanks

Digby,
    To start with, searching the London Gazette with his service number (39573) shows that he was more than a Flt/Sgt. There are hits from Oct 1940 through to 1944, with him as a Flt/Lt. Also in the right section (General Duties) for aircrew.

Thanks

Digby, If we have the right man your father was appointed to a Short Service Commission in 1937:
    Air Ministry,
    26th March, 1937
    ROYAL AIR FORCE.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    The undermentioned are granted short service commissions as Acting Pilot Officers on probation with effect from and with seniority of 8th Mar. 1937:
    Lionel Francis Martin SAUNDERS.
    The question becomes: Why do you think he a Flt Sgt?
    Regards, Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 31st October 2010 at 01:27. Reason: Additional Question

Thanks

Thank you so much for the information. I appreciate the lengths you have all gone to to help me find something out about my father's career. Taking your advice, I shall try to gather any documents from family members to get the ball rolling.
    Thank you once again.
    Best regards
    Digby