Thread: The Lawrence of the RAF?

Thanks

Default The Lawrence of the RAF?

While trawling through the Regiment Museum archives I came across a copy of the Sunday Pictorial dated 15 April 1945. In it there was an article about F/O Jack Churchill DFC, DSO RAFVR. In it he was called the above because he did secret flights into the jungles of Burma. He was also apparently the first man in the RAF to fly over 30,000 miles in the South East Asia command. There is a picture.
    Did this young man actually exist or is this RAF propaganda? I have tried the internet but can find nothing when I google him. If he is real can someone tell me more please? I did find a young man of that name who was born in Yeovil in Sept 1914 as it said he was 31 at the time of the article (quite an old un in war terms).
    Dee

Thanks

Default More info

Should have checked London Gazette first.... He does exist and he has numerous entries in their including the details for his DFC (28 Jan 44) and DSO (27 Mar 45)! Still need info such as which Sqn he was on etc though as nothing in the Gazette.
    Ta

Thanks

From the old version of the board:

http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=printer_format&om=13&forum=DCForumI D6

357 Sqn

Thanks

Default Jack Churchill

Oggie

A Jack Churchill is mentioned in Fitzroy MacLean's book "Eastern Approaches" p 410
    [1943-44 dates]

Quote " Jack Churchill & his brother Tom ,who was commanding the Commando Brigade of which No 2 Commando formed a part ,then asked Randolph [W Churchill's son] & myself to come to a party which they were giving on New Year's Eve in their mess at Molfetta ,up the coast from Bari [Italy] Once there I realised that the Churchill brothers were an outstanding pair .Both were regular soldiers ---"

Obviously not your RAF man but he sounds daring ???

Perhaps Churchill is more common a surname than supposed ? An RSA [Dick] Churchill RAF was part of the Great Escape from Stalag Luft 111 but his life was spared because supposedly the Gestapo thought he was related to Winston C .

Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 1st November 2010 at 21:06.

Thanks

Default Thanks

Alieneyes thanks for that link it gave me his sqn. I will look up 357 Sqn in my Halley book for more.
    I wonder if Hugh is still looking for the London Gazette info for his DSO as I have the date, issue & page if he wants it. Will message him.
    I wonder why it didnt come up when i did the search. Must have not put enough information in...
    Aestorm will look up those references thanks. From the newspaper my Jack Churchill is a daring doer too.
    There seems to be a 357 Sqn Assn so I will contact them and see whether they want a copy of the photocopy (I cant give them the original paper it came out of) for their records.
    Will let you know a bit more when I do some more research.
    Dee

Thanks

Default 357 Sqn

Just to give you an update. Had a very quick reply from the person listed as a contact for 357 Sqn. Apparently there is no longer an Assn but he is in contact with one or two of the veterans in Canada, but Churchill's name never came up when talking of post war contacts. However he did tell me that Churchill had served with 357 from its beginning; his DFC was from flights on 1576 Flight, which was the predecessor of 357 Squadron. He had originally flown Hudsons, before converting to Liberators.

Robert the contact has just finished transcribing a brief history of the early SD work in SEAC and has just put it on his site last night http://www.rquirk.com/ if anyone wants to look.

Hes asked for copies of the docs I have (thanks Hugh for saving me downloading the DSO details from the LG).

An interesting little detour for me.
    Dee