Thread: 10 OTU Abingdon

Thanks

Default 10 OTU Abingdon

I am the son of JG Moriarty W/O 656266, he was shot down by Oblt Helmut Lent (pilot) of 4./NJG2 unit, following the 3rd Thousand bomber raid over Bremen on June 26/27-6-1942, he was flying a Whitley V of 10 0TU Code ZG-L Serial BD201. Taken prisoner L3/L6/357, prisoner number 340.
    I am, like so many others, interested in any information I can get either from my fathers time at Abingdon or during his time as a POW.

Thanks

Hello,

The Operations Record Book of No. 10 O.T.U. gives the date at 25/26th June 1942, which is confirmed in W.R. CHORLEY's "Bomber Command Losses 1942", on page 132.

You may try to get your father's PoW questionnaire at The National Archives in Kew, in the WO344 series. Also those of his fellow crewmates : Sgt N.R. PARSONS, F/O R. VAN TOEN and F/Sgt G. GcB HARRIS. As you know, Sgt G. EWEN was killed and is buried in Bergen General Cemetery.

Joss

Thanks

Default 10 Otu

Thanks for this, I was going to add if anyone had the ORB for 10 OTU for 1942 as I am unsure if this was my fathers first flight. I have managed to trace the crash site and through the book walking on the sands of time worked out to some degree where he was held at various prisoner of war camps. But will investigate the records you mention. I am very keen to get hold of any photographic records of his training time at Abingdon and am aware of the great web site dedicated to 10 OTU where I have supplied a photograph of my father when he was posted to the Isle of Man for training.

Thanks again

Simon

Thanks

Dear Simon
    How is your French? The site listed below is good on German night fighters. I have also listed the page for Helmut Lent so you can see what the man looked like who put your father in the bag as it has his photo there.
    http://www.cieldegloire.com/njg_001.php
    http://www.cieldegloire.com/001_lent_h.php

I presume your father may have been at RAF Jurby on the Isle Of Man, so if you are at Kew it may be worth looking up the Jurby ORB as well as they ofen give dates of arrival and departure from the station.
    Happy hunting
    James

Thanks

Default 10 Otu

Thank you James, a while ago I bought the book "The Lent Papers" by Peter Hinchliffe when I discovered my fathers plane was shot down by Helmut Lent, although his log book states on that night he had shot down a different aircraft, contacts I have made with a Dutch organisation clarified it was my Fathers Whitley. Thanks for the info on Isle of Man RAF station Jurby, I will investigate and hopefully find another part of the Jigsaw puzzle.

Thanks

Hi Simon,

Would you please post a photo of your father? My husband and I would greatly appreciate it. We are told he may be a relative; this photo would clarify that once and for all. Thank you so much.

Thanks

Hi KKMitty

As Simon mentioned in his earlier post, he did put a pic of his father on the RAF Abingdon 10 OTU website. It's there on the 'Picture Album' page, fourth pic down. A bit small, but might be sufficient?

Ian