Thread: 26 Squadron Mustang I casualties-July 16,1942

Thanks

Default 26 Squadron Mustang I casualties-July 16,1942

On July 16,1942, 26 Squadron lost its first two Mustang Is in action. The serial numbers of these Mustang Is were AG399 and AG532. One of the pilots was P/O Claude Henry McComas, but I don't know the identity of the other pilot.

What was the cause of their disapearance? There were no Luftwaffe fighter claims, as far as I can tell.

Thanks

Hello,

The other pilot was F/L The Hon. John Ambrose Henry GREVILLE, who is buried in Boulogne Eastern Cemtery (12-D-10), not far from McCOMAS who is buried in 12-E-9.

GREVILLE was flying AG399 and took off at 13:50 hrs from Gatwick with McCOMAS (AG532) and P/O J.H. WATSON (AG536). French coast is crossed at Hardelot and German soldiers are straffed on a beach. Then WATSON became separated from the other two, in a low cloud. He climbed up and returned to base, landing at 15:02 hrs. details from the Squadron ORB.

I also confirm no fighter claim match these two losses : that leaves options such as Flak, or a mid-air collision as possible causes.

I'm interested in any details about these two airmen.

Joss

Thanks

Default 26 Squadron Mustang I casualties-July 16,1942

Thanks, Joss.

I'm currently attempting to put an EXCEl worksheet with the Argentine - British casualties in WWII and P/O Claude Henry McComas is one of them. I found the Mustang I serial numbers in a book on the Mustang by Robert Jackson.

Thanks

To be precise according to the CWGC the name is Henry Claude McComas not Claude Henry. The CWGC says that his parents lived in the Irish Republic?

Steve

Thanks

There is a cutting from a newspaper on ancestry.com saying he was only son of Dr. mcComas of Dorking. Dr. McComas appears in the medical registers until 1951 in Dorking. his father graduated from University of Dublin.

There are two shipping arrivals for a H C McComas, one in 1933 from Port Said and one in 1941 from Canada.

he travelled with his mother in 1933, from Canada. H C McComas was a student at the time, age 20.

In Oct 1941 he was an RAF member and was sailing with five other airmen from Canada.

His father seems to been Irish born in 1881. His name is regsitered in Dorking as a Doctor from 1915 to 1951.

his father appears sailing from Argentina in 1936 to the UK.

And in December of that year, Henry Claud McComas sails from Argentina to UK, his occupation listed as a schoolmaster.

Hney Clauds birth is registered in Dorking district in 1913.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 3rd November 2010 at 17:19.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello,

The CWGC register gives his first names as Henry Claud,

Name: McCOMAS, HENRY CLAUD
    Initials: H C
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    Unit Text: 26 Sqdn.
    Date of Death: 16/07/1942
    Service No: 108133
    Additional information: Son of Cyril Henry and Hilda Mary Claude McComas, of Blackrock, Co. Dublin, Irish Republic. M.A. (Cantab.) Caius College.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot 12. Row E. Grave 9.
    Cemetery: BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY

with no final e, but one of his mothers' first names is given as Claude with a final e. I found this tiny discrepancy a little puzzling.

The London Gazette online shows he was Henry Claud, commissionned with effect from 1st September 1941.

Joss