Thread: George Newton - 401 Sqn?

Thanks

Default George Newton - 401 Sqn?

Hi all,

I'm looking for info regarding a pilot named George Newton (rank: unknwon), who might have flown with 401 Squadron at some moment during WWII.

I don't have any detail. I can't even be sure this man has existed.

Thanks for your help,

Fox.
    Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.

Thanks

There is a photograph of five 401 Squadron pilots including a George Newton on page 208 of THE ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE AT WAR 1939-1945 (Milberry & Halliday). Circa 1941-42.
    He appears to be commissioned.
    Ian Macdonald

Thanks

You're right, and since it's the only known photograph on which the so-said pilot appears, I'm looking for another one, so that I can compare.

Actually, I think I was mistaking because I found he looked like another pilot who arrived to 401 Sqn in June 1942.

But I also found that Harry Deane MacDonald, who appears on this photograph, too, left 401 Sqn on 1 May 1942 and didn't come back until December.

Considering that James Whitham, who also appears on this picture, was KIA on 28 August 1942, the conclusion is that the photo was taken BEFORE the month of May 1942.

Thus, the pilot named George Newton must be George Newton and cannot be the one I thought he was.

Hope it's clear!

Fox

PS: I'm not sure he's commissioned. If you have a close look to the picture, something looks like the edge of some Sergeant's stripes on his right shoulder - maybe I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Fox; 4th November 2010 at 22:44.
    Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.