Thread: Info on flares dropped on chutes and incendiary bombs wanted

Thanks

Default Info on flares dropped on chutes and incendiary bombs wanted

Wimpy crews used flame floats overhead sea and flares to drop overhead land when they got lost during bad weather - flares on chutes also to illuminate the target area before bombing. As the aircraft flew on the rear gunner would keep the float or flare in his gun sight and in so doing the turret would turn automatically. He would read off the angle of drift on the special scale marked on the base of the turret and inform the navigator. So they could check the wind speed and direction he was using to plot the course for the pilot to fly on...
    I'm wondering what kind of flares and flame floats they used. Where they have been stored on board the Wimpy and how they looked like? Are there any technical darwings or pictures available? I'm apprechiating any help on that topic. Regards, Kurtl

Thanks

Hi Kurtl,

There's a 47 mb pdf file here with technical descriptions of assorted British weapons, including flame floats.

You'll probably have to register with the site first, as it asks for a login name/pw:

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/attachments/weapons-systems-tech/54994d1201819544-british-bomb-manual-britishexplosiveordnancewwii.pdf

Thanks

Thanks alot for that link! The pdf-file is very detailed and covers everything I was looking for and much much more. The only thing I couldn't find in it are sea mines able to drop from aircraft. Nevertheless just great! Thanks

Thanks

A very little bit on air-dropped mines at the bottom of this page:

http://www.lancaster-archive.com/bc_bombsmineincendiaries.htm