Thread: Sunderland W6016

Thanks

Default Sunderland W6016

Hello List,
    I have a problem tracing a mark 111 Sunderland W6016 of 95 Squadron. I have this aircraft missing between Gibraltar and My Batten on 24th December 1942. This date has been confirmed by both Aeromilitaria(Air Britain 1979) and RAF Museum Historical Branch.They also confirm that W6016 was with 95 Squadron.
    There was however a post (I beleive on this forum) which gave a crash date for W6016X of 204 Squadron on the 29th November 1942.Is there anyone who can give a definite date for the crash and also the Squadron W6016/W6016X was with at the time.

regards and fingers crossed

Mike

Thanks

Hi,

W6016 was on the strength of No.95 Sqn and on a ferry flight to Gib for No.204 Sqn 28/11/1942. The crew were from No.204 Sqn and odd bods in transit from various units.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2020 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Default W6016

Hello Ross,
    Wish I'd posted query here before,thanks for the info. Still unsure however where the date 24th December came from.

regards,fingers now uncrossed.

Mike

Thanks

Hi Mike,

Usual source of error is from the Form 78 movement card.

The Form 1180 - where raised - gives the actual date of incident (or date of report)

Form 78 - Movement Card -will give the SOS (struck off strength) which is the date it was removed from the unit inventory.

For a missing aircraft it normally was 3 to 4 weeks after the loss date (just in case it turned up!).

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2020 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Default was W6016 now DV 956

Thanks for that Ross .
    Dare I pose another query? I have another mark 111 Sunderland DV 956 of 95 Squadron which ditched 12 51N 21 56 W on 30th April 1945. Would you have any more information,casualties etc?
    regards Mike

Thanks

Default Coastal Command

Chaps

Sorry to butt in on this thread, and only marginally connected with it, but could I take this opportunity to ask Ross if there's any news on when his next CC Losses book might appear? After the first one the second volume is, I'm sure, eagerly awaited.

Sorry for the interruption. I'll go now.

Ian

ps - Ross - please delete if you feel this is inappropriate use of the the Forum and/or bad manners. No offence intended.

Thanks

Just a minor point, but all those Mark 111 Sunderlands flying about in this thread were in all probability normal Mark IIIs!
    David D