Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for DFC citation

Thanks

Default Looking for DFC citation

Hi,
    Hoping someone can help out with the DFC citation for 169662 Arthur Harold Pearce, 100sqdn then to 625sqdn on it's formation. It may have had something to do with that awful night of 16/17th Dec 43, but not sure. I have the 625 ORB but nothing in there apart from recording that his crew were one of those who got into trouble that night, but survived.
    tia.......Alan.

Thanks

Hi Alan,

I think it might be a DFM citation you are looking for. His award is listed in Flight on 20 Jan 1944 as a Sgt. The spelling on the notation is "Pearse" and they have him with 100 Sqn. He only made Sgt. on 9 Dec 1943, so it probably isn't a case of changed to DFC on promotion.

OK, after searching a bit more on him... and wondering why his award wasn't mentioned in the LG... I find him being promoted from P/O to F/O on 9 Jun 1944, and listed as a DFC. So, he was obviously on a fast track for promotion and I take it back, it is possible that his award was converted to a DFC when he made P/O sometime in the spring of 1944.

It's odd that I can't find his award or his promotion to P/O in the LG, however.
    Last edited by dfuller52; 5th November 2010 at 16:18. Reason: wrong publication, addt'l info
    David

Thanks

Hi Dave,
    His promo to P/O is in the Gazette issue 36354, 28/01/44. His service number 169662 brings up several hits, as does his previous one of 1636826. Funnily enough, if you change the first one to 160662, you get a hit for him as well. This looks more probable that his award was for something while with 100sqdn, and not 625.
    Alan.

Thanks

Sorry Alan, I was misreading that section of the LG when I found the same item. I see now he is included in the list of Sgts. who were becoming P/Os.

That mistyped service no. you have for him turns up the LG notice of his DFC in April 1944 and lists him with 625 Sqn. So it does look like a case of a DFM changing to a DFC on promotion, and dating back to his 100 Sqn days.

Sorry for the runaround.
    David

Thanks

No need for apologies Dave, every bit helps.
    Alan.

Thanks

PEARCE, Arthur Harold, P/O (160662, RAFVR*) - No.625 Squadron - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 21 April 1944. Citation from Air Ministry Bulletin 13588.

"As flight engineer, Pilot Officer Pearce has participated in attacks against targets in Germany and Italy. In December 1943, during an attack on Berlin, his aircraft was hit by fire from the defences while over the target. One engine was set on fire and the aircraft went down several thousand feet out of control. Pilot Officer Pearce, with great initiative, feathered the damaged engine and, as the intercommunication system was out of action, handed the pilot navigational directions which he had obtained from the navigator. He then rendered invaluable aid ministering to a wounded comrade andf tending the remaining three engines. Throughout his tour this officer has always displayed a high degree of courage and devotion to duty."

Thanks

This series of posts has raised an interesting question. Is it being suggested that recommendations for a DFM resulted in a DFC being awarded if the "nominee" had been commissioned in the interim?
    Regards, Terry

Thanks

Hi Terry,

This subject has confused more than a few of us over the years. As Hugh has often mentioned, a recommendation for a DFM was often changed to a DFC if a promotion occurred during the process, as happened in this case.

I just put the question to him about whether there were officers with DFMs and he informs me that, yes, once gazetted it stays as a DFM.
    David

Thanks

Just by way of a demonstration of the last posting, try this:

Go to the London Gazette archive.

Select the historical section as "World War II"

Go to section to enter "Exact Phrase" and type in DFC, DFM.

You will be struck by the number of cases where an officer has both awards in his postnominal letters.

Thanks

Thanks to all, especially to Hugh for coming up trumps once again.
    Regards......Alan.