Thread: Gauntlet loss, Donna Nook ranges April 1940

Thanks

Default Gauntlet loss, Donna Nook ranges April 1940

Hi,

On 15th April 1940 Gauntlet K7883 hit the beach and overturned while flying low over Donna Nook ranges. The Gauntlet was from 1 Air Armament School and the pilot was killed.

The Air of Authority website has two possible pilots. Plt Off Peter de Galleani Fry (41170) and Sgt John Miskelly (740837). Both pilots are on the CWGC with their date of death as 15 April 1940, but no unit is given for either of them.

A quick search of the 'net has Plt Off Fry as dying at home.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Sussex/NorthMundham.html

On the Scottish Wargraves web site there is a photo of Sgt Miskelly's head stone. On it, it states that he died on active service.

http://scottishwargraves.phpbbweb.com/viewtopic.php?t=621

Is their anyone that can confirm that Sgt Miskelly was the pilot of the Gauntlet?

I have 6 more incidents involving 1 AAS Gauntlets.

Regards,

Alex

Thanks

Alex

I have the pilot of the Gauntlet as Fry. I have checked the registers and find that his death is registered at Louth, whereas Miskelly's death is registered at Derby.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Hi Dave,

Thanks. I'll keep it open just now. Next time I order some Form 1180s I'll include that one as well.

Alex

Thanks

Default It's FRY

The Accident Card, available on microfilm at the RAF Museum Hendon, records the pilot as being Plt Off P de G Fry.

The card says the pilot was carrying out unauthorised and unneccessary low flying when he was supposed to be carrying out a weather test.

Hope this helps.

Miskelly was killed flying Magister L8331 of 16 EFTS Burnaston (Derby), so that seem to link in with the registration districts.

OldRotor