Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Prowse, BOAC

Thanks

Default David Prowse, BOAC

Hi all,

are there any good sources that anyone can point me towards for gleaning information on BOAC employees? I have a Beaufighter crash landing on approach to Shawbury in 1940 and the pilot was a "Capt D Prowse, BOAC". Now having checked the LG i have a very strong contender being Captain David Prowse, BOAC, who was appointed MBE in June 1941.

It's the first time i've come across a BOAC employee so I'm interested to know where one might learn a little more about him? Any books, or archives out there?

Cheers, Tom

Ps All google searches come back with David Prowse, the man that played Darth Vader in Star Wars, who coincidentally worked for BOAC and was also appointed MBE later in life so i'm a bit stuck with 'googling'!
    Last edited by thorne83; 8th November 2010 at 16:36.

Thanks

Here's a smidgeon Tom

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/35184/supplements/3289/page.pdf

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Main place to start would be BA Museum but they are relocating

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/museum-collection/public/en_gb

Email them anyway, they were super helpful, unless corporate have seen a money spinnner
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi Tom,

Looks like, Beaufighter IF R2093, of 3 FPP that crashed on 15-9-1940, three quarters of a mile east of Shawbury on delivery from Filton. It was unable to maintain height on one engine and force-landed in a small field.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 8th November 2010 at 16:17.

Thanks

Gents, thanks for this!

Dave - that's indeed the LG announcement i found.

Dennis - That's brilliant, i've just sent them a quick email so shall see if they come up with anything.

Col - Cheers, i didn't post the details as i'm not on my home computer and don't have them, but that sure looks like the one from memory!

Thanks

This is an area I did not previously explore, but the following files at Kew may offer some insights. References to "British Empire Medal" might go on to Member of the Order of the British Empire andf Officer of the Order of the British Empire. It would be interesting to know more of the contents of these files.

AIR 2/6359 DECORATIONS, MEDALS, HONOURS AND AWARDS (Code B, 30): British Empire Medal (Civil): recommendations 1939-1953

AIR 2/6360 DECORATIONS, MEDALS, HONOURS AND AWARDS (Code B, 30): British Empire Medal (Civil): recommendations 1939-1948

AIR 2/6361 DECORATIONS, MEDALS, HONOURS AND AWARDS (Code B, 30): M.B.E.: civil division 1933-1945

AIR 2/6362 DECORATIONS, MEDALS, HONOURS AND AWARDS (Code B, 30): M.B.E.: civil division 1945-1946

Thanks

Tom,

The 15-9-1940 Beaufighter incident was not the first occasion David Prowse found need to force-land an aircraft:

"On the 11th August (1939), British Airways had another near disaster with a Lockheed 14* on the London-Zurich service. One of the engines gave trouble at 10.000 ft and the machine failed to hold height. At 3,000 ft the carburettor caught fire, and the flames spread, Captain David Prowse put the machine down in a field near Luxeuil (France), and the undercarriage collapsed; the crew, though suffering slight burns, were able to get the nine passengers out - but the machine was destroyed by fire."

See:
    British Aviation:Ominous Skies 1935-1939.
    Penrose,Harald.
    London:H.M.S.O.,1980.
    p.288

* Lockheed 14-WF62 (c/n.1467) G-AFGN. The self-same aircraft that conveyed Chamberlain to the Hitler appeasement talks at Munich and Godesburg.

Col.

Thanks

If you search through the online Flight Archives and Google books you will find he worked with Aerial Refueling ltd.

Not sure if this works but:
    http://books.google.com/books?ei=rALZTNvDDoqVswbV9_DyBw&ct=result&id=C3fmA AAAMAAJ&dq=%22David+prowse%22+BOAC&q=prowse

and then just search using name Prowse in Flight archives, as with all things.

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/index.html

A blurred old photo of him with crew.
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1947/1947%20-%200921.html?search=to Bermuda.

Flight also may show him as with TMA in 1960-61. Though they don't mention the OBE in the listing.

I think I have him on an aircraft arriving in New York in 1944 with American servicemen and some RAF Ferry Command men. He was aged 33 at that time if its the same man.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 9th November 2010 at 08:26.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello,

Post-war, Prowse was chief pilot of Flight Refuelling Limited.

John Stroud, the noted aviation journalist, flew on a flight refuelling mission with Prowse:

"After the war intensive flight testing of the system (flight refuelling), took place with Avro Lancasters based at Ford. In June 1946 I flew with David Prowse on Lancaster G-AHJW when we made a radar interception of G-AHJT at 14,000 ft. and passed 1,000 gal. to it."

See:
    Air Affairs:A monthly commentary.
    Stroud,John.
    Air Pictorial. Vol.44. No.7. July,1982.
    p.250

Col
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 9th November 2010 at 09:16.

Thanks

Thanks Gents,

this is great stuff and all adding to the picture, many thanks.

Col, I think you must either be a librarian, or have bought every book ever published on Air Force history?!