Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A monument for Beaufort N1154 crew

Thanks

Default A monument for Beaufort N1154 crew

Dear friends

In one of our local newspapers, was last 30 Ocober an article about a coming monument unveiling. Please follow this link : http://brest.letelegramme.com/local/finistere-nord/brest/ville/aviateurs-anglais-le-souvenir-est-intact-30-10-2010-1099475.php
    This little monument will be for 217 Sqn RAF/ C C Beaufort N1154 crew, who was killed in the night of December 7, 1940 at l’Hopital Camfrout, 19 km south East of Brst, Brittany, France.
    The article says they never heard of any relatives of any of the members of this crew.
    Just in the case, with a lot of chance, any of you would have been :

P/O BROOKS George Henry (Obs., 78459, RAFVR) was 20. Son of Cecil Henry and Edith Maud Brooks, of Horsham, Sussex; husband of Sylvia Brooks.
    Sgt. EEDE Thomas John George (AG, 527729) was 33. Son of John George and Dorothy Eede, of Laira, Plymouth; husband of Winifred Edith Eede.
    F/O MUSSENDEN Hugh Eric (pilot, 41198) was 23. Son of Nathaniel and Louise Mussenden; husband of Joyce Margaret Mussenden, of Maida Hill, London.
    Sgt. PRATT John William (W/AG, 627713) was 20. Son of Robert and Jane Pratt, of Grange town, Yorkshire.

The unveiling will be on the 70th anniversary date of the crash, next 7 December 2011 at 10 am. A part of the monument will be a propeller blade.

Regards
    Gildas

Thanks

Brooks is on a family tree on ancestry.com so Ihave sent on a message to the tree owner. ther might be living siblings!!

Checking the others
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Gildas,

There is a Barry Mussenden who is Deputy Director, Policy and Strategy Directorate, of the Department of Health in London. He was awarded the OBE last June.

See http://www.debretts.com/people/honours/2010-queens-birthday-list/order-of-the-british-empire---civil/officers-obe.aspx

It's a very long shot but the name is so exceptionally unusual that there could be some relationship with your man. I've tried a quick scan of the telephone directory for London and surrounding counties but not had any hits.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 10th November 2010 at 21:56.

Thanks

Mussenden is a starnge one, he is found on various immigration records corssing the US border and arrving in US ports during the 1920 and 30's. His father natanial is listed as Dutch East Indies and Canadian in different records. Both parents appear to have died in birit Columbia after the war. No evidence of siblings found.

Eede's father was a WW1 veteran, and his pension records are online. He had two sisters, one seems to have died at 19 and the other might be married to a Polish man.

Pratt had probably two sisters and a Brother.

Who is the organising commitee, are there contacts for them?
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 11th November 2010 at 08:33.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello,

Mussenden was CAN/RAF.

Killed in Action.
    MUSSENDEN, Hugh Eric, P/O. (41198).

From Vancouver, enlisted in Sept. /38. He flew Beauforts with No. 217 Sqdn. at St. Eval and in 1940 began attacks against enemy ports. On Dec. 7/40 he was killed in action on a strike and was buried in Hopital-Camfrout Communal Cem., France.

See:
    Canadians in the Royal Air Force.
    Allison,Les.
    Roland:Author,1978.
    p.174.

Awaiting a copy of TSGNO, maybe someone can update Allison's earlier work.

Col.

Thanks

A notice in a local Middlesbrough newspaper, by Pratt's home area of Grangetown, may be read by a relative ? The Middlebrough Evening Gazette & Northern Echo

There are 9 Pratts in the Middlesbrough area bt.com directory

Anne

Thanks

Hi
    For this guy

Sgt. EEDE Thomas John George (AG, 527729) was 33. Son of John George and Dorothy Eede, of Laira, Plymouth; husband of Winifred Edith Eede.

I would suggest a request to this newspaper,it is a daily local, and has been for many many years.

They have always been helpful on the past to me.

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/contact.html

main website

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/

cheers
    Jerry

Thanks

Thanks to all for your help. Dennis, I’m sending a message to that site, and the others provided by Ann and Jerry. Jacques Heurtaux is the contact, but I only met him once, and ignore if he’s speaking english or not. But I’ll certainly give his contact or forward any information if needed.

Thanks again to all, much appreciated. I know what I have o do this evening !
    Gildas

Thanks

Good news, I contacted a family tree on ancsetry.com and they being in CAnada contacted the English branch of the family and hey presto, P/O Brooks brother will get too know about the memorial. If anyone has a contact for the organisors of the memorial the family might want to get in contact.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks Dennis,

I've forwarded to my contact your question. Will update when I get an answer

Wonderful!
    Gildas