Thread: Where are relatives for Sgt Wall?

Thanks

Default Where are relatives for Sgt Wall?

Council seeks relatives of Second World War airman (from Press Assn)
    (UKPA) 1 day ago

Archivists at the south London borough of Sutton are launching an appeal to trace the relatives of a Second World War serviceman whose aircraft was shot down in Germany ahead of the unveiling of a memorial to remember the lost crew.

RAF Flight Sergeant Frederick Albert Wall died alongside six other crew when his Lancaster Bomber was shot down on March 6, 1945 while attacking an oil plant at Salzbergen.

Those killed were temporarily buried at the crash site before being moved to the Reichswald Forest War Cemetery near Kleve. Authorities in Germany are preparing to unveil a memorial at the crash site this Saturday (November 13) and would like his relatives to attend the ceremony.

Records at Sutton Council show that Sergeant Wall's parents were Albert and Kate Wall of Carshalton, south-west London. However, there are few clues as to where his living relatives might be.

Ruth Dombey, deputy leader of Sutton Council, said: "Sergeant Wall was one of the many brave men and women who paid the ultimate sacrifice in the war effort. Seeking out his relatives and informing them of this memorial is a fitting way to remember this war hero. I would appeal to anyone who has any information that they think might be useful to come forward and tell us."

Gunther Gratzki, who is organising the memorial service, added: "These men were only doing their duty and I think it is important that we honour them so that others remember their sacrifice."

The council's heritage staff have identified that Sergeant Wall, who was aged 29 when he died, was a member of the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve Unit 514 Squadron. The plane in which the crew died was an Avro Lancaster Mk III which took off from Waterbeach in Cambridgeshire.

Newspaper reports document 119 Lancasters of No 3 Group, accompanied by RAF Mustangs and Spitfires, attacked the Wintershall oil refinery north-west of Munster in broad daylight, with volumes of thick black smoke seen rising above the clouds.

Sergeant Wall's was the only one of the Lancasters to be lost. His service number was 1800217 and he is buried in grave 13.E.7 at the Reichswald Forest War Cemetery, the largest Commonwealth cemetery in Germany.

Anyone with information on Sergeant Wall or his relatives, should contact Kath Shawcross, Sutton Council's borough archivist on 020 8770 4745 020 8770 4745 or email kath.shawcross@sutton.gov.uk.

Copyright 2010 The Press Association. All rights reserved.

Thanks

Dee
    I wonder if Sutton council have put a notice in the local newspaper such as Sutton Guardian or tried the 7 Walls living in the Carshalton area in the bt.com directory ?

From my experience some crew relatives can be found still living in the same hometown.

Anne

Thanks

Anne,

I agree with you that a notice in the local newspaper could be succesful.I did find relatives via a notice in a local newspaper several times.And if there are no relatives living anymore often an (older) resident could lead you to a relative.
    Let's hope that there will be also relatives of Sgt.Wall at the ceremony.

Mike

Thanks

Well, it took a while but I eventually found his parent's marriage.

Albert Wall & Kate Richards, Southwark, September Quarter 1921.

I have not found a birth for a Frederick Albert Wall but I have found an Albert F Wall, mother's maiden name Richards in Lambeth in March 1922. I know that the age the CWGC have suggests 1916.

There were two other births in Southwark whose mother's maiden name was Richards in 1924 and 1927 so he may have had two brothers, Henry and Arthur. Neither appear on CWGC or AFM so if they were in service it looks as though they lived through it.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Default Frederick Albert Wall

I am the niece of the below, my father was Henry Wall his brother, my father sadly passed away a few years ago. I have photos and info on Albert Wall. I would love to have gone to the memorial service to commemorate his service. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by alclark View Post
    Well, it took a while but I eventually found his parent's marriage.
    Albert Wall & Kate Richards, Southwark, September Quarter 1921.

I have not found a birth for a Frederick Albert Wall but I have found an Albert F Wall, mother's maiden name Richards in Lambeth in March 1922. I know that the age the CWGC have suggests 1916.

There were two other births in Southwark whose mother's maiden name was Richards in 1924 and 1927 so he may have had two brothers, Henry and Arthur. Neither appear on CWGC or AFM so if they were in service it looks as though they lived through it.

Thanks

Hi Lisa

Did your father perhaps have a cousin by the name of Peter, who was born in nearby Croydon in May 1921, died 2003, and served as a fighter pilot in the RAFVR during WWII?

Regards
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hello, he could well have, however I'm just trying to piece the family together.