Thread: fate of Beaufighter TF X NE666

Thanks

Default fate of Beaufighter TF X NE666

Hello,

During the night of 1st/2nd September 1944, Beaufighter TF X NE666 'Z' of No. 143 Squadron, flown by F/O N. CARR and F/O A.W. TILLEY, was hit in the port wing during a maritime strike off Boulogne-sur-Mer or Calais, and made a successful belly landing at Manston.

Does anyone have any more details about this crew and the Beaufighter, which the Air-Britain register NA100-NZ999 shows as SOC on 29th November 1948. That would imply that she was repaired and re-used by No. 143 Squadron, its sole user.

http://www.sonsofdamien.co.uk/Beaufighter%201.htm
    shows a profile with the individual letter 'F'. Could she have changed individual letter during her repairs ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joss

Thanks

Hi there,
    The profile you refer to on the webpage shows the a/c with post-war underwing serials which was introduced from about July '45 onwards (Michael Bowyer 'Fighting Colours 1937-1975'). It was not un-common for some a/c to be allotted different letters sometimes especially following major repairs, and if it changed from 'Z' to 'F', it suggests to me that it was transfered from 'B Flt' to 'A Flt' of the unit.
    Ian

Thanks

Hello Ian

You're correct, I didn't spot the underwing serial number at first sight.

It seems I'll have to check the form 78 for that Beaufighter and see what it gives.

Thanks for your help.

Joss

Thanks

Default Beaufighter TFX, HO-Z, NE666 143 Sqn

Hi. Not sure if this thread will still be active but I'll give this try ....

An uncle of mine flew Beaufighter TFX, NE666 'Z' with 143 Squadron in July 1944. Apparently different versions of the BF were referred to as the TFX model. Some had a dorsal fin and thimble nose (for radar) so looked quite different from other versions - yet were still called TFX.

From other discussions I've been told the dorsal fin version was introduced later and would not have been with 143 Sqn in July 1944. However, the illustration on the "sons of damien" web site depicts NE666 as the dorsal fin version. The SoD site says the dorsal fin/radar version was "operational from early 1944 with Bristol Beaufighter strike wings in Coastal Command".

Is the "sons of damien" image a correct depiction of NE666 that flew as HO-Z with 143 Sqn in 1944?

I intend to make a model of a plane my uncle flew and I want to get it right. He flew other Beaufighters with 143 Sqn of course, not just NE666, however if the "sons of damien" image is correct, then I'd know for sure he least one type he would have flown.

Does anyone know if there are any sources of images of 143 Squadron? If I could confirm a plane of the other type he flew that would be great too. (There are 172 scale kits of both TFX types available and I actually prefer the look of the non-dorsal fin/radar version.)

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jossleclercq View Post
    Hello,

During the night of 1st/2nd September 1944, Beaufighter TF X NE666 'Z' of No. 143 Squadron, flown by F/O N. CARR and F/O A.W. TILLEY, was hit in the port wing during a maritime strike off Boulogne-sur-Mer or Calais, and made a successful belly landing at Manston.

Does anyone have any more details about this crew and the Beaufighter, which the Air-Britain register NA100-NZ999 shows as SOC on 29th November 1948. That would imply that she was repaired and re-used by No. 143 Squadron, its sole user.

http://www.sonsofdamien.co.uk/Beaufighter%201.htm
    shows a profile with the individual letter 'F'. Could she have changed individual letter during her repairs ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joss