Thread: Naples bombed by Wellingtons October 1940

Thanks

Default Naples bombed by Wellingtons October 1940

Hi guys

My records show that Naples was bombed by Wellingtons (148 Squadron) from Malta on the night of 30/31 October 1940. Other sources disagree.

Hopefully someone can verify, please. Also, what damage was inflicted?

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Default Naples bombed by Wellingtons October 1940

Hello Brian,

You may already have this info but,
    RAF Bomber Losses in the Middle East & Mediterranean Vol 1 has -
    30th Nov 40 Wellington 1c T2613 as 115 Sqdn flew into London Blloon Barrage with all crew lost when it crashed at Iver, Bucks. A/c was on delivery flight to Lua.
    For the 3rd November it has wellington 1c R1094 lost on Take off Luqa crashed Qormi, all crew killed. And Wellington 1c T2743 also failed to gain height after take off and crashed near Tal-Handaq, crew injured one killed. Both these a/c were on an Operational flight to Naples However they are noted as belonging to "Wellington Flight".
    Page 17 has note that from September Wellingtons staged through Malta en route to the Middle East, and in November the Islands Wellington Flight was formed, composed of crews from 38 and 115 Squadrons. On 1st December the Flight was reconstituted as 148 Squadron.

Hope this helps.
    Alex
    Last edited by Alex Smart; 12th November 2010 at 04:50.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Smart View Post

You may already have this info but,
    RAF Bomber Losses in the Middle East & Mediterranean Vol 1 has -
    For the 3rd November it has wellington 1c R1094 lost on Take off Luqa crashed Qormi, all crew killed.
    Alex
    Hello Alex, First of all, thank you for this piece of information as It provided me with the serial number of the aircraft that I've been searching for! However, this information is partially incorrect... I am a living testament to this as my great grandfather Was the sole survivor of this crash. I have been doing some research on his war service as my grandfather told me this story and I was keen to find out some more details. The only other article I have found so far is this one that I tracked down online

https://maltagc70.wordpress.com/2015...e-killing-six/

I am curious as to whether you might have some more information on this?

Regards, Connor