Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Op Market Garden / Varsity Horsa crash?

Thanks

Default Op Market Garden / Varsity Horsa crash?

Hi all,

i'm afraid i've got very little to go on with this one, but can anyone identify the incident in which a glider "crashed close to the old Melton church, near Woodbridge in Suffolk". The elderly witness believes the glider broke away from its tug on the way to Arnhem (or possibly Op Varsity?) and there were fatalities.

Like i said, not much to go on, but perhaps someone can flesh this one out? Anything in Though Without Anger?

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Tom,
    In "Tugs and Gliders to Arnhem" (Arie-Jan van Hees) is on page 283 (Abortive Sorties 1st, 2nd and 3rd Lift - Market Garden) for 2nd Lift 18-9-1944:
    Horsa Chalk Nr. 996 - "G" Sqn GPR - Tug Pilot F/O Bebarfeld - Tug a/c Stirling 190 Sqn - load 1 Para Bde 2 Bn - landed Woodbridge Airfield. Could this be the one ?
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Default Hamilcar perhaps

A Hamilcar NA814 slipped its tow after the Halifax tug lost an engine on take-off for VARSITY 24 Mar 45. The glider hit a tree and disintegrated. The two pilots and the seven passengers were all injured but no fatalities are reported.

This might be it.

OldRotor

Thanks

Default Gliders

Hi Tom

I can confirm that the Woodbridge ORB only lists 2 glider landings, both on 18/9/1944:

At 13:29 hrs, 1 x Horsa, HG931 from Fairford, S/Sgt Ellin [Henk - could this be the same one you've listed?]
    and
    at 13:36 hrs, 1 x Hadrian, "920" from Ramsbury, (pilot not named other than as 'A.N. Other'!).

For both: "Tow rope broke in vicinity owing to bumpy flying conditions. Good landing."

Looks like neither of these are yours. Sorry.

Ian

ps Can anyone [Henk?] please confirm S/Sgt Ellin's initials, and maybe who was the pilot of "920" and it's true serial no?
    Last edited by ianh; 12th November 2010 at 18:49.

Thanks

Default Hadrian ?

Hello,

There were two possibles for 920.
    KH and KK.
    Both according to AB's series were destined for the Far East.
    So perhaps the last part of the US Serial number.

Alex

Thanks

Default Ellin's Christian Names ........

......... are James Bernard Cecil

OldRotor

Thanks

The US 101st Airborn Divisions [gliders & troop movements] based above Ramsbury, took part in Market Garden .

Flight movements for Operation Market Garden Sept. 18th 1944 are listed in Roger Day's book "Ramsbury at War"
    To quote from 3 paragraphs --
    "They learned that the mission was to take place in daylight & the gliders would be flown without co-pilots due to a shortage of trained glider pilots.Seventy aircraft & glider combinations left Ramsbury.Eight planes failed to return .The group lost more aircraft on this mission than all their other combat operations ".
    No airmens' names are given

The Americans return to Ramsbury for a reunion and exhibition every few years in April /May

Anne

Thanks

Default Gliders

Many thanks for those replies folks; and Tom, sorry for diverting things a little bit off-topic from your post!

Alex - my thought was that "920" was the chalked-on number of the a/c rather than part of its formal serial. That could still be the case.

But back to Tom's original query now, I hope ...

Regards

Ian

Thanks

Sorry all, been off the computer for a few days!

Thanks for the suggestions, but this one looks like it's going to need a lot more digging at Hendon. I wasn't holding out for much as the details i have are so scant!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Default Glider Crash in Melton

Good evening!

RE: GLIDER CRASH IN MELTON

Did anyone find out any more about this? I'm the editor of our Village magazine, The Ufford PUNCH. I've been chatting with one of our villagers and publishing his memoires. He remembers the glider crash from when he was a boy and going to see it but unfortunately not much more than that ... are there any more details I can report on it?

I look forward to hearing from you

Best wishes

sam