Thread: Flt Lt D.A. YOUNGS, RNZAF and RAF

Thanks

Default Flt Lt D.A. YOUNGS, RNZAF and RAF

I have had a group of seven medal to this officer (Douglas Alan Youngs) for some 35 years, viz AFC (1950), 1939-45 Star, Pacific Star, 1939-45 War Medal (with MiD Oakleaf), New Zealand War Medal, GSM - 2 clasps, Malaya, Cyprus; United Nations Medal - Cyprus. I know that he served throughout WW2 as a pilot with the RNZAF and post war had two spells with the RAF. I have full details of the latter and a copy of the recommendaiton for his AFC.

However, my attempts to find any details of his time with the RNZAF have proved fruitless, with the exception of the announcement of his Mention in Despatches in London Gazette 10 July 1945. Any assistance on the background to his MiD and indeed anything on his WW2 service would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Jim

Thanks

Jim,

This may help:

From Colin Hanson's 'By Such Deeds - Honours and Awards in the Royal New Zealand Air Force, 1923-1999':

YOUNGS, Flight Lieutenant Douglas Alan, AFC, mid.
    NZ401297 & 133710; Born Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex, England, 6 Jan 1920; RNZAF 7 May 1940 to 27 Jun 1946; RAF 10 Aug 1947 to 9 Aug 1951, 59496; RNZAF Res. 29 Apr 1952 to 9 Jun 1954; Pilot.
    Later Flt Lt D A Youngs, AFC, mid, RAF 10 Jun 1954 to 6 Oct 1968, 59496.
    Citation Mention in Despatches (10 Jul 1945): For meritorious service. Served three tours in the SWPA - two with 19 Sqn (Kittyhawk/Corsair) and one, as a Flt Cdr, with 25 Sqn RNZAF (Corsair).
    Citation Air Force Cross (KB1950): Not available. For service with the RAF.

A copy of his RNZAF service record can be freely obtained from Personnel Archives, New Zealand Defence Force (see http://www.nzdf.mil.nz/personnel-records/nzdf-archives/)

Youngs is a relatively uncommon name in New Zealand and I feel fairly certain that the air force man is the same as the Doug A. Youngs who flew topdressing aircraft with Aerial Farming of NZ Ltd c.April 1952 - Apr 1955.

I'd be interested in seeing those details you have of Youngs RAF service and the AFC recommendation, if you would care to email me with them sometime.

Errol

Thanks

Errol,

Brilliant - just what I was after. I will certainly reciprocate with the info I have on his RAF career and the lengthy AFC recommendation. Again, very many thanks.

Jim