Thread: Donald Francis Tittley RAF POW

Thanks

Default Donald Francis Tittley RAF POW

Hi

Can anyone throw any light/info on the aircraft one of my relatives was shot down in and what/where he was bombing.

I know he was on a bombing raid, he was a prisoner of war in Kopernikus his POW number was 913 and his RAF number was 1434973. I have no idea of rank (possibly not pilot) or any other details except my Mothers diary on 21st January 1944 in which says he was taken a POW after being shot down on a bombing raid to MENT.... or possibly MONT.... (cant read the rest) Any help would be appreciated. After the War Donald became a pacifist and a clergyman when he died he was the Rector in Northumberland.

TIA
    Dyan

Correction I think his name is Donald FRANK Tittley not Francis.
    Last edited by Dyan; 15th November 2010 at 10:31. Reason: Error in name

Thanks

Dyan, Hi,
    1434973 Flight Sergeant D F Tittley reported by Flight Archives as "Missing" on 23 Mar 44. Later (13 Jul 44) reported as PoW. The number 1434973 would have been allocated on Enlistment between Apr - Oct 1941. Somebody with the appropriate Chorley can give you some more detail - or you can email me (see my Contact Info)
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Thanks

you have mail.

D

Thanks

Hi Dyan,

21/22 Jan 1944
    No.77 Sqn.
    Halifax II LW233 KN-Z
    Op: Magdeberg

Took off 1957 Elvington. Attacked at 17.000 feet S of Magdeberg by a night-fighter and, apart from F/O Garlette who is commemorated on panel 206 of the Runnymede memorial, abandoned successfully.

F/O P J Garlette +
    Sgt G B Greenfield pow
    P/O D Cooke pow
    Sgt A Bellenger pow
    Sgt L D Thomas pow
    Sgt F T Lewis pow
    F/Sgt D F Tittley pow

BCL5/45

Col.

Thanks

Default F/S Tittley

Hi Dyan

While Col has not specifically mentioned this, if he has given you the crew list as set out in Chorley (which I guess he probably has done), being last on the list suggests that Tittley was probably the a/c's rear gunner. As you said, not the pilot.

Ian

Thanks

Default Thanks everyone this is now complete

Thank you I have all the info now - yes he was the Gunner from other family sources I have found out a lot more about him, he was at one time in Canada and taught at the Gunnery School before redeploying back to UK. He was also on the long march from camp to camp etc no wonder he became a pacifist.

Interesting side story - when he bailed out he landed in a backgarden where there was washing on the line, he draped his chute over the line and took off at high speed. Years later when he was a Vicar in Whitley Bay he visited a parishioner who was a German from Madenburg (?sp) he said he knew the place and she told him about the mysterious parachute that was on the washing line and how they made underwear out of it...........now how creepy is that!!!

Thanks once again.

Dyan

Thanks

Dyan

I presume you haven't got his logbook but the crew did ops to Kassel 22/10/1943, Mannheim 18/11/1943, Berlin 22/11/1943, Frankfurt 25/11/1943, Frankfurt 21/1/21943, Berlin 30/12/1943, Berlin 20/1/1944 but didn't take off. They flew in LW233 on 21/12/1943, 30/12/1943 and as you know their last operation. I presume they joined 77 Squadron in October 1943 but the ORB we have at Elvington isn't complete or totally readable.