Thread: Halifax LW233 Impact Site/Time

Thanks

Default Halifax LW233 Impact Site/Time

Does any one know where and when Halifax LW233 impacted on 21/22 Jan 44? And does anyone know the usual/average cruising speed of a fully loaded Halifax (a) outbound, and (b) on the return leg?
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

OK, so no takers for my original request. I did think that it was relatively simple - but it appears not so.
    So let's attack the problem from the other end. Does anyone have the route and target(s) for the raid on Magdeburg on the night of 21/22 Jan 44? 77 Sqn and Elvington were amongst the Units/Bases involved!
    Any takers on this one?
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Hello Peter,

Apart from the route flown by the main force for that raid, I think a useful source of information would be the PoW questionnaires of the six survivors of the crew : I've checked what I had in stock, in case of, but unfortunately none of them.

The route to Magdeburg was : 54°30N 06°40E - 53°20N 09°31E - 52°47N 12°00E - MAGDEBURG - 51°56N 11°18E - 53°17 N 09°31E - 54°30N 06°40E

Planned time of attack was 23:00-23:18.

Joss

Thanks

Joss,
    Absolutely brilliant - mni tks.
    I am pursuing this one on behalf of NZ NoK. Tomorrow I will plot the route, and work out times based on probable average speeds (+/- the Met winds!!). Half-remembered memories of, now, very old, and frail, family members are leading to some inaccuracies!! We need to put - as far as we are able - the record straight.
    It would seem that after interception the crew of this a/c all abandoned it to the parachute (except the Skipper). The Captain stayed with it to let the crew jump (many others like him!). He was the only KIA casualty from that a/c. He has No Known Grave! I suspect it was still carrying its full bomb load when it hit the deck at high speed. The pilot was, probably, vapourised in a millisecond!
    "No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friends" - particularly at this time in November!! Makes one realise how lucky we, who survived, are!!
    Joss, thanks again!
    Peter Davies