Thread: Sabotage?

Thanks

Default Sabotage?

Hey guys information please about Halifax HR936(MH-J) of 51 Sqn flown by PO F A Preston. I know it crashed on 24 Aug 43 near Munnikezijl in Groningen and that all 7 crew became POWs. The person who asked me the question says as follows "The crew noticed when flying above the North Sea on the way to Berlin that their plane had been sabotaged! One of the steering pipes was nearly cut through. Above the sea, the pipe became broken and it was then not possible to keep the plane on level flight". Can anyone tell me anymore about this story and the names of the other crew members. I have given Tom the website for 51 Sqn which I got off the RAFRA site and I am going to contact my POW guru to see whether he can track down a POW repatriation report for the pilot or other members of the crew. Is this mentioned in a book at all. I did search on here to see if there was another thread (and apologies mods if there is) about it but couldnt find one-if there is can anyone give me the link. Many thanks.

Thanks

Hi Dee,
    There was no F.A. Preston on board HR936, and Chorley states crash area as "on land belonging to Mr Brinksma at Lutjegast", about 8 miles South of Munnikezijl. Crew on board were..........

P/O J.R. Cribb.
    Sgt D.J. White.
    F/O W.J.A. Nicholson.
    Sgt G.E. Lloyd.
    Sgt D.O. Samuels.
    Sgt P.E.M. Gosling.
    Sgt J.L. Wright.
    Nothing in Chorley about sabotage. Just states total failure of flying controls.
    Alan.
    Last edited by AlanW; 19th November 2010 at 13:06.

Thanks

Default Thank you

Thanks Alan
    Will use that. I got the PO Preston off a Dutch website...
    Dee

Thanks

Hi Dee,

I have heard over the years that there was sabotage at 51 Sqn, but I don't think it was ever proven. Their pow reports may make for interesting reading. Please post if you find anything.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

John,
    Out of interest, do you think that this sort of information would be noted in the ORB, as it's coming up to choosing another to add to my collection.
    Alan.

Thanks

Alan,

I am sure there would be nothing in the ORB, but their pow reports upon release from the pow camp might tell us something.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Further info from my Dutch friend (clipped straight from his email):
    Two crewmembers jumped out above the village Opende. Because to many people knew about them, the resistance couldn,t take the risk to hide them, so they got captured by the Germans.

Anywhere around that village George Lloyd landed, the resistance helped him to hide for the Germans.

Nicholson landed at by the village Noordwijk (2 miles East of Opende). Some villagers found him, want to help but didn,t know how. Soon the Germans arrest him.

Two are probible landed around Surhuizum (2 miles south from Opende). This is not sure but a police report says: two prisioners in Surhuizum. That,s all.

Most information I gott about Cribb.
    He landed near the crashplace. The plane crashed at 23:29 near the farm of mr. Binksma. Because of this, the farm burned of. The famer and his family could escape from the flames.

Cribb was found by farmer mr Egbert Spaak.In the early morning of 24 august he want to milk his cows. Then he discovered a (for him) strange man, sleeping in the haystack.
    Because confusion about language both men didn,t understand each other. And especially: mr Spaak see the badge at the uniform of Cribb, he,s thinking of an Eagle. A German badge. For Cribb this means a tragic mistake. Mr Spaak was a good men, didn,t like the Germans, but because of the language problem and he thinks it was a German pilot, Cribb also got a warprisioner.

Dee, this is my information.
    I got it from a colleague who live in Munnikkezijl. He told me about this story because after Soarremoarre evrerybody at my work knew that I have a fashionation about WW2.

The most amazing about this story is for me: the reason about the crash: sabotage. The nearly cutted through controlrod. Somebody must hav done that at airbase Snaith. But who? And I know I can ask it a person from 51 sqdr, but who? I hope you understand, why I hope you can help. I mean: if it is sure about sabotage: who did sabotaged the plane?

with kind regards, Tom

Thanks

Hello All

I've just come across this forum post while looking for details of my Grandfather - he was Sgt. John L Wright, the tail gunner in this Halifax HR936. My grandfather became a PoW following the crash landing of the plane and was taken to Stalag 4B I believe. He was eventually repatriated back home but never spoke about his time during the war to anyone. He sadly passed away in the late 1980s and I therefore know very little about what he did during the war. Only his daughter survives (my mother). Any information people could give me on the crew or their missions would be most warmly received. I understand that they were on their way to a bombing mission in Berlin when the plane went down.
    Kind regards
    Justin Evans