Thread: Research on two Lancasters(LM682&PB518) and one Halifax(HR838)

Thanks

Default Research on two Lancasters(LM682&PB518) and one Halifax(HR838)

Good evening to everyone,

my last post is some time ago and maybe some people remember the heated discussion we had about it's content.
    Anyway, today I won't ask for information touching the same theme or something like that.
    In course of the last month I've learned a lot about the topic in which we all here in this board are interested.

I collected information to more than 10 crashes in my home area and I am planning to write a little book about it.In my collection are reports of eye witnesses,entries of chronicles,photos of crashplaces/crew,MACRs,and so on. I follow every detail I can find. And in the near fututre I will have the opportunity to interview some more witnesses, because the local paper will publish a small article which elucidiate my intention.I hope some old people will correspond to it.The thing will be a non-profit work and I have the intention to publish it only on an local level. In Germany we call this native/home research.

Despite the fact I've collected still a lot, there are of course some gaps and I hope here are maybe some people who can help me to close them.

Despite the Lancaster JB221 OF-X (97th Squadron), there were the crashes of two more Lancasters and one Halifax in my area.

1) Lancaster III LM682 PM-O, crashed on 13th of February 1945 at Winterkasten.
    Operation Thunderclap
    Target: Dreseden
    Start in Elsham Wolds
    103. Squadron

Crew:
    PO D G Rimmington RAAF
    Sgt G Turner
    Sgt G RGilfillan
    FSgt E V Staples
    Sgt A H Pettman
    Sgt W H Swan
    Sgt F A Rushworth

Whole crew KIA

2) Lancaster III PB518 HW-P, crashed on 2nd January 1945 at Schlierbach.
    Target:Nürnberg
    100. Squadron

Crew:
    F/O P. M. Bunn POW
    Sgt. D. J. J. Timms KIA
    F/O L. J. Holford POW
    F/O R. E. Marsh POW
    Sgt. J. E. Benton KIA
    Sgt. W. C. Muir KIA
    Sgt. R. Poulsom KIA

Here are some information which you maybe not know: The Lanc crashed into a wood, in an area called "Guter Mann" in english "Good Man". It was burning. 3 men bailed out and were captured by the people of Schlierbach. The other four were KIA and were buried at the church cemetary of Schlierbach.From there they were re-intered by a english tracing service on 23rd of April 1947. They were brought to the Allied Hero Cemetary Bad Wiessee on 10th of August 1948.

3)Halifax HR838, crashed on from 10th to 11th of August 1943 at Asbach

All three villages are in the Odenwald area.

Maybe some of you can give some information to these crashes.As I said, I am interested in every detail.Especially I am interested in documents written by the RAF, for example the Casualty Inquiry Investiogation Reports or the mission reports of the operations,etc.
    I tink in cotrast to the American MACRs,etc. it is harder to organize these papers,so I am a bit clueless.

With many regards

Felix
    Last edited by JB221; 20th November 2010 at 20:37.

Thanks

Default Losses

hi Felix,

following is information from the book, "The Nachtjagd War Diaries, Vol. 2", by Boiten/Mackenzie (Red Kite, 2008):

100 Sqdn Lancaster PB518:

"The only other claimant against the Viermots on this night was Hptm. Karl-Heinz Weigel of 11./NJG6, in the area around Stuttgart. His first victim was Lancaster PB477 of 405 Squadron, which was seen by other RAF crews to be hit by air-to-air tracer. The port wing tanks of the Lancaster burst into flame and the aircraft flew on for a short time before it entered a spin and exploded in mid-air, circa 18.43 to 18.45 hrs, and crashed at Rohrau, 3 km. ENE of Nufringen. Weigel’s second victim was Lancaster PB518 (named ‘Pistol Packin Mama’) of 100 Squadron, which was seen to catch fire in the nose, while Weigel’s night fighter, visible in the glow of the flames, broke off from underneath. The doomed aircraft spiralled down and broke up over Schlierbach, 27 km. SE of Stuttgart, circa 18.53 to 18.55 hrs."

103 Sqdn Lancaster LM682:

"The first aircraft to be lost was 103 Squadron Lancaster LM682. It was hit by a Flak battery based at Heppenheim an der Burgstraße, and limped on for a further 10 km., before crashing 200 m. E of Winterkasten at 00.20 hrs."

'hope this helps...

Rod

Thanks

Some 100 Sqn gen there that i didn't know - thanks very much JB221 and RodM :)
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RodM View Post

Quote removed. Read and comply with the sticky on Quote Use.

Ross

Rod
    Hi Rod, thank you very very much.This helps a lot,some new interesting facts I can add. I still had contact with Theo Boiten some time ago.Didn't know that these crashes are mentioned in one of his works.Maybe I can get some more information from him.

Felix

Thanks

Will take a photo of the 103 Squadron ORB this wednesday.

Thanks

Hello goofy, did you have the time to take a photo?

With many regards

Felix

Thanks

Hi Felix,

D G Rimmington of LM 682, file is held by the NAA in Canberra it is yet to put on line, but it may give you some interestring information. D G Rimmington had a older brother who was killed in a take off accident out of Gibraltar on 22 August 1942 with 202 Sqn.

Regards,

John.