Thread: 10 Group Pilot Early War

Thanks

Default 10 Group Pilot Early War

Working from a DFC recommendation a pilot called G E CASSIE saw service on twin engined aircraft during the early period of WWII. Duties were Channel Shipping Strikes. My problem is that the group covers many Squadrons. Has any forum member come across the name at any time in order to assist in any identification for me. This pilot joined the RAFVR in 1937

A thin thread of hope but it is just possible the name will ring a bell with a member.

Thanks

Hello,

http://testing.dreweatts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=33&It emid=70&saleno=20436&lotno=374547-1

Might help others.

Col.

Thanks

Hello,

It looks like he flew Westland Whirlwinds early in his flying career. As the Group is 10, and it mentions Brest and Cherbourg, it ought to be No. 263 Squadron, as No. 137 Squadron was then based at Manston and was covering the eastern part of the Channel.

So he went back to his old unit later, when he was flying Typhoons.

He's in a group picture of No. 193 Squadron's personnel, as shown in "193 Squadron RAF" compiled by Chris Woodcock, taken at Harrowbeer in April 1943, in two others of "B" flight's pilots. He's reported as "Cass Cassie" and indeed served twice with 193 Squadron : from February 1943 to June 1944, then from January to March 1945. He's also other group pictures, one taken on 10th February 1944 (after the successful attack on Etampes-Mondésir airfield, he claimed one Me-210 or 410 destroyed on the ground, and two 110 damaged on the ground), one in February 1944,and another taken in February 1945.

You should try to get a copy of this book (ISBN 978 0 9562636 0 5), which is a must for Typhoon enthusiasts.

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss.

Your information is received with thanks, very impressed with your knowledge. I will pull some orb's from 263 Squadron to try and confirm.

Thank you for the reply.
    Colin