Thread: 105 squadron/ F/O C.M Wheatley

Thanks

Default 105 squadron/ F/O C.M Wheatley

Hello everyone,

New at this forum;

I have a question regarding 105 squadron. I am researching F/O Claude Mervyn Wheatley who flew with the PDU and was shot down near Arnhem, Holland on March 22, 1940 in Spitfire N3069.
    I recently found out that F/O Wheatley flew earlier with 105 squadron, then based at Rheims flying Fairey Battles. But thats about it. There is not that much info to be found on the internet.
    I am looking for any information regarding his time with 105 sqn and any help is appreciated very much.

Kind regards,
    Sander
    Last edited by Kingscoy_2; 21st November 2010 at 19:47.

Thanks

Hello,

look there: http://www.arga-nl.nl/pages/herwen_spitfire_uk.html.
    Dutch mates have researched the fate of this airman. Lt. Jung was stationed at Boenninghardt a/f, a 20 mins. bicycle ride distant from my home.

George

Thanks

Hi George,

I think Sander might be aware of the site as he is secretary of ARGA

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Hello,

look there: http://www.arga-nl.nl/pages/herwen_spitfire_uk.html.
    Dutch mates have researched the fate of this airman. Lt. Jung was stationed at Boenninghardt a/f, a 20 mins. bicycle ride distant from my home.

George
    Hi George,

Andy is right, I'm the secretary of ARGA. But thank you for your trouble in mentioning our website.
    I have researched F/O Wheatley's crash in Spitfire N3069 for over 20 years now. The file has grown quiet large over the years and everytime something new pops up. The Jung photo for example was found just two years ago. Recently I came to know that Wheatley flew with 105 sqn. And I was hoping that maybe someone has ORB entries mentioning him or perhaps other info related to F/O Wheatley. Efforts in finding relatives is proving to be difficult as it seems that all of his family has moved or emigrated.

Just wondering. Boenninghardt is also not that far from where I live....is there anything left of this former a/f to see? I always wanted to go there to take some pictures for the file(and others; we excavated a 7./JG77 Me 109G-14 based at Boenninghardt).

Kind regards,
    Sander

Thanks

Hello Sander,

Are you aware of this?

There was no shortage of volunteers from the AASF to fly "something very fast". Many pilots were tired of the Phoney War in the Spring of 1940 and wanted to do something more positive to help the war effort. The first Battle pilots to be posted in to Heston to join Longbottom and Niven were Eric le Mesurier, Fg Off Alistair Taylor, Fg Off Spencer Ring, and Fg Off Wheatley. One of those not selected at first was Fg Off S. G. 'Billy' Wise on 105 Sqn at Rheims. His CO turned down his application to go to Heston and sent Wheatley instead. Wise was so fed up with kicking his heels in France that he went off to beat up the airfield in disgust.

See:
    Photo Reconnaissance:The Operational History.
    Brookes,Andrew J.
    London:Ian Allan,1975.
    p.63

There is also an account of the shooting down of F/O Wheatley in:

JAGDGESCHWADER 51 "MOELDERS":Eine Chronik Berichte-Erlebnisse-Dokumente.
    Aders,Gebhard & Werner Held.
    Stuttgart:Motorbuch Verlag,1993 (2nd ed.).
    pp.48-9

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 23rd November 2010 at 11:52.

Thanks

Thank you for your reply,
    Yes...The book by Andrew J Brookes was the tip I received. Bought it a couple of weeks ago for a few euro's. The Moelders book I already had on my bookshelf.
    I always presumed that F/O Wheatley came from an OTU. He is somewhat of a " difficult guy" in finding out his history. I have some info from the London Gazette with a few dates when Wheatley was promoted from acting P/O to F/O and such. I also received some newspaper clippings from the UK a few weeks ago telling about is wedding with Joan Leal and he being MIA.

I'm hoping to learn more of him now I know that he flew with 105 sqn.

Kind regards,
    Sander

Thanks

Wheatley's service flying training took place at 6 FTS Netheravon 19-9-36-21-5-37 Course 4 Posted to 105 Sqn Harwell 22-5-1937 !

Mark

Thanks

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the additional info....didn't know this.

Cheers,
    Sander