Thread: Hudson Loss

Thanks

Default Hudson Loss

G'day

On the 5th of April, 1942, the crew listed below from No. 407 'Demon' (GR) Squadron were flying a Lockheed Hudson Mk. V serial number AM684 and coded RR*O. The aircraft was initially reported missing while on a ‘Reefer Patrol’ off the Danish coast. It was later determined that the aircraft had been shot-down off the Danish coast. Incidentally, this was the crew’s second op together.

So far, these are the crew members I have. I find it curious that there were so many Wireless Operator/Air Gunners on this crew

Pilot - R65297 Sergeant Leo George Murphy KIA
    W.A.G. R58523 Sergeant Samuel Douglas Dean KIA
    W.A.G. R76616 Flight Sergeant Arthur Kenneth Hamilton KIA
    W.A.G. R68681 Sergeant Joseph Frederic Paul Henri La Freniere KIA
    W.A.G. R73772 W.O.2 W. R. Hamilton POW

Does anyone know who the Observer was? Was a Reefer Patrol an anti-shipping patrol or just recce?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Howdy Chris;

Just remembered my password! Good to be back.

From my notes, this aircraft was shot down by flak from a German vessel, off Hanstholm harbour, Denmark. I also have it recorded as being on "Operation Saucer", but I'm not sure where I got that information, and can't find any further references to Operation Saucer.

Thanks

Hi Chris,
    According to the ORB, there were only 4 crew on each Hudson on this and other ops, La Freniere was the Observer in the crew, but there's a problem. You name two Hamiltons, there was only one Hamilton, a Sgt, but no first initial to say which one of yours was the one on board. Can confirm it was a Reefer patrol.

Thanks

Chris,

W R Hamilton was PoW AM812, 15/05/1942.

Bill,
    Your email address is bounced back by demon mailer so I could not reply.
    Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<rwrwalker****>:
    No MX or A records for ody.ca

Saucer was a defined patrol
    SAUCER Recce in three sections from Egero to The Naze via the coast to 8 degrees E thence to 5726N 0822E to Hanstholm Light.

AM684
    The Hudson attacked Vp-Boot 1211, which was laying just outside the harbour of Hanstholm, Denmark, at 10.39 hrs. 4./MAA 118 marine flak battery opened fire and shot down the Hudson using 3 rounds of 37 mm and 3 rounds of 20 mm hitting the cockpit. The aircraft crashed into the sea about 700 metres from the shore after being hit in the fuel tank. There were no survivors. Sgt Murphy, Sgt Dean and Sgt Hamilton are all buried in Frederikshavn Cemetery, Denmark, while Sgt La Freniere, from Fort Francis, Ontario, is commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

ORB is in error, location wrong for Reefer, Group ORB gives correct tasking of Saucer and loss position confirms.
    Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thanks for this Ross. so I guess the correct terminology would be "a Saucer patrol", not "Operation Saucer"?

Not sure what is up with the e-mail, getting lots of other (less importnat) stuff to it today.

Thanks

Default Hudson Loss

G'day Chaps

Many thanks for all the replies!

I was given the wrong date of loss and that is what I am basing my request on. I built the crew up from the date given

According to Kim Abbott's book entitled 'Gathering of Demons' there were two Hamiltons serving at the same time killed on the same squadron.

Thanks again.

Cheers...Chris