Thread: Operational routes / maps

Thanks

Default Operational routes / maps

Hi,
    Could anyone out there tell me the best way to find out which route an operation would have taken, Home base - target and back . Seeing a map / diagram with the route plotted out, for me helps sets the scene.

I have no particular operation in mind, it is just an open question for which i hope there is an "easy" answer i could refer to when next thumbing through some mission description ...

I'm guessing the squadron / group records may indicate a course taken ? but how much detail is involved i have no idea.

As with the way of these things i expect there is no easy solution, but i would like to know what others recommend.

thanks
    Mark.

Thanks

Hi Mark,
    I have never seen routes shown in Squadron or Group ORBs. However, they do appear on Bomber Command Loss Cards. These used to be available on microfische from RAFM Hendon, but I am not sure if they are still being sold and if they are, I expect the price would be high.
    Regards, Doug.
    Last edited by deecee; 5th December 2010 at 14:54.

Thanks

Hello,

This subject has been covered several times on this board. I don't know if the "research" option is fully operational with the new version of the board, but you may try it to recover the 'gen' already provided.

Routes to targets can be found in Group's ORB's appendices, not in the main ORB. These are the telex sent by HQ BC to the various groups. May be not detailed in the early part of WW2, but worthwhile for the rest of the war.

They also can be found in some Squadron's ORB's appendices, but this is much rarer.

A third source, still at Kew, is the "interception & Tactic reports". This is where you'll find the route with the coordinates of the turning points, and very often a map showing the route to and from the target.

Another source, as mentioned by Deecee, is the Bomber command Loss cards at Hendon. But, when multiple losses occured one night on a same target (and this happened very regularly), the scribes filling those cards at the time would put the route on the first of the loss cards, and then on the following, would only write "refer to XY... " and so you don't have the route planned on the card which interests you unless it's the lucky one.

I used to visit Hendon myself, so I could immediatly see if the route was shown, and if not, also copy the relevant loss card, usually on the same roll of microfilm. If you're ordering only one loss card from Hendon, it should be free. If you order several item, they would charge you the cost of copying + P&P.

Joss

Thanks

I wrote to the Department of Research and Information Services at Hendon http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/research.cfm and they sent me, after a little wait, a print out of a microfiche which not only showed the target routes I was after but also the countermeasures put in place by 100 Group for a particular night. It's worth a try.
    Max
    Max Williams
    www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
    the story of Lancaster ME453

Thanks

THANKs for the replies so far, very much appreciated. I'll see if i can dig out the earlier threads as suggested. But answers have given me a good insight in where to head.

thanks again.