Thread: Searching for Flight Lieutenant SAVAGE, FREDERICK HENRY 150 Sqdn killed 8th may 1941

Thanks

Default Searching for Flight Lieutenant SAVAGE, FREDERICK HENRY 150 Sqdn killed 8th may 1941

Im trying to trace the relatives of the 6-man crew of an RAF Wellington Bomber R1374, which crashed in May 1941, killing all the crew. The Town near where this happened Pont Saint Martin, near Nantes, France, is planning a commemorative ceremony in 2011, marking the 70th anniversary.

I am trying to help them by tracing the families of the dead servicemen in order that a) they can be invited to the ceremony and b) to provide as much biographical detail as possible about the deceased men.

http://www.absa39-45.com/Pertes%20Bretagne/Loire%20Atlantique/8%20mai%201941/wellington-R1374.html

I have traced families of 5 of the 6 men of R1374 listed elsewhere in this forum, but Frederick Savage the Pilot still eludes me. and I thought as a last hope it was worth having a hread specifically about him

From the CWGC citation we have :

Name: SAVAGE, FREDERICK HENRY
    Initials: F H
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force
    Unit Text: 150 Sqdn.
    Date of Death: 08/05/1941
    Service No: 40263
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot L. Row A. Grave 18.
    Cemetery: NANTES (PONT-DU-CENS) COMMUNAL CEMETERY

I have a photograph of his grave.

I have used family history resources and the public records of births, deaths and marriages, and here is what I have found:

Frederick Henry Savage (the pilot): the index to deaths does not give his age, but we have this birth of Frederick H. Savage of the right age for WW2 service, with the right initials:

Sept. 1913 Kensington, mother's maiden name . Page

His parents married in 1912 at Lambeth:

Frederick Savage, 26, provision merchant, & Florence Ann Page 22.

They appear to have had no other children.

Frederick Savage is on the roll of honour at Sloane Grammar School, West London

Frederick married:
    Sept. 1939 Frederick H. Savage & Gabrielle Hirsh, St. Ives (Hunts)

And from probate after he was killed:
    Frederick Henry Savage, 168 Earls Court Rd., London SW5, died 8 May 1941 on war service, probate at Llandudno 15 Jan. 1942 to Gabrielle Savage, widow. Effects 4,215.18.5
    His widow remarried
    Sept. 1944 Robert H.J. Hainault & Gabrielle Savage, Westminster
    There appear to be no children born to Frederick and Gabrielle. There are no children of the Hainaults, or deaths of either listed.
    I think the mother's death must be:

Dec. 1953 Florence A. Savage, 64, Surrey Mid Eastern

The father is on the Commonwealth War Graves site as a civilian. He died in 1940 at Earls Court Road, age 53, husband of Florence.

I have tried to trace distant cousins Through Fredericks aunts family who married into the Mouselle family, but again the trail goes cold.

Some months back I had pretty much given up on tracing Savage, despite having a great deal of assistance from various forums, including a very active Savage Family Yahoo Group who helped me enormously.

Pat Harris, the wife of the brother of one of the other crew men, and a very keen family historian too, suggested a last posting here.

So if you have any connection with Frederick Henry Savage I would be eternally grateful to hear from you

Thanks

Can you confirm you have used ancestry.com for the above info, its source/tool I use myself.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

The same sources were used i.e probate indexes, register of birth death etc but not exclusively from ancestry.

Thanks

Well the commemoration went ahead, we managed to trace the families of 5 of the 6 man crew, but alas the Pilot, Flight Lieutenant Savages family could not be traced. The commemoration went ahead last weekend in France, pictures can be seen here:

http://www.absa39-45.com/Pertes%20Bretagne/Loire%20Atlantique/commemorations/7%20%26%208%20mai%202011/7-8-mai_2011.htm

many thanks for all the help and support from this forum

Thanks

Looking at this again, the Hainault surname seems to be concertrated in Canada, perhaps he was Canadian. if you get the marriage cert it might give you some clues. Would also explain no children in England/Wales. Any in Scotland?
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

I have decided to try again to find any relatives of Flt Lt Frederick H Savage as there is to be another event in Pont St Martin in May 2016. As part of a Chemin de Memoire in Brittany and the Loire-Atlantique a plaque is to be unveiled at the site of the Wellington crash to which relatives will again be invited. This plaque will also commemorate the crew of Hampden AD750 which crashed about a kilometre away four months earlier. If anyone has any knowledge of a relative I would very grateful. jives listed the family details.
    Pat Harris