Thread: Fate of P/O Cecil H. Hight - 234 Sq - August 15,1940

Thanks

Default Fate of P/O Cecil H. Hight - 234 Sq - August 15,1940

Hello all,

I'm trying to determine the facts behind the demise of Pilot Officer Cecil Hight of 234 Sq on August 15,1940.

In the book "Churchill's Few" by John Willis (Paragon Press- 1985), his demise is reported in the following fashion: "His colleagues saw his Spitfire come in erractly ,almost hitting a wooden fence as it turned left at the end of the runway. Hight switched off the engine and Gregory Kirkorian,the intelligence officer ran out towards the plane. He saw that Hight had a huge bloody hole through his chest. The yong New Zealander slumped into Kirkorian's arms and died a few minutes later."

However. Norman Franks in FCL has his demise as the following:" Patrol. Bailed out over Bournemouth after fight with Me109s,1815.Parachute failed. New Zealander."

Which is correct?

Thanks

Default Fate of P/O Cecil H. Hight - 234 Sq - August 15,1940

Hello all,

I'm trying to determine the facts behind the demise of Pilot Officer Cecil Hight of 234 Sq on August 15,1940.

In the book "Churchill's Few" by John Willis (Paragon Press- 1985), his demise is reported in the following fashion: "His colleagues saw his Spitfire come in erractly ,almost hitting a wooden fence as it turned left at the end of the runway. Hight switched off the engine and Gregory Kirkorian,the intelligence officer ran out towards the plane. He saw that Hight had a huge bloody hole through his chest. The yong New Zealander slumped into Kirkorian's arms and died a few minutes later."

However. Norman Franks in FCL has his demise as the following:" Patrol. Bailed out over Bournemouth after fight with Me109s,1815.Parachute failed. New Zealander."

Which is correct?

Thanks

Kaki,

From my 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume One: Fates 1915-1942)':

Thu 15 Aug 1940
    Fighter Command

Interception of incoming raid on Portland, Dorset
    87 Squadron, RAF (Exeter, Devonshire - 10 Group)
    Hurricane I P3215 - took off at 1700, leading the Squadron into combat with an enemy raiding force of 120 aircraft. P3215 was hit during the engagement and caught fire, coming down from 15,000 feet towards Warmwell. It headed for and circled the Abbotsbury area before crash landing there at about 1800 in a copse and striking an oak tree. The pilot was thrown clear but was already dead when help arrived. He is buried at Warmwell.
    Pilot: 29224 Sqn Ldr Terence Gunion LOVELL-GREGG, RAF - Age 27. 2178hrs. 9th op.

234 Squadron, RAF (Middle Wallop, Hampshire - 10 Group)
    Spitfire I R6988 - took off at 1705 with 11 others to intercept the same raid as above. R6988 was damaged and the pilot wounded during the ensuing combat. He baled out over Bournemouth but his parachute failed to open. His body fell into the garden of ‘Hambledon’, a house in Leven Avenue, while the Spitfire crashed further along the same avenue at the corner of Walsford Road. He is buried at Boscombe, near Bournemouth.
    Pilot: 41924 Plt Off Cecil Henry HIGHT, RAF - Age 22. 68th op(?)

The Willis account is pure fiction in respect of Hight, never mind how anyone could manage to land a spitfire while suffering from "a huge bloody hole through his chest'!

Errol

Thanks

Hello,

In his "For your tomorrow volume 1", Errol Martyn wrote he bailed out over Bournemouth but his parachute failed to open.

Artistic licence from John Willis ?

Joss

PS : I notice you had posted twice on the same subject , and that Errol has already replied to your question
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 11th December 2010 at 07:40. Reason: adding PS

Thanks

Default Thanks to alll (n/t)

Thanks for the clarification on this matter.