Thread: Lancaster ME581, 550 Squadron, 22/23 April 1944

Thanks

Default Lancaster ME581, 550 Squadron, 22/23 April 1944

I'm after any general information on the loss of this aircraft on a raid to Dusseldorf, I found a website in French with details plus pictures of a memorial to the crew who were all killed, the site gives Wilhelm Herget as the pilot who shot them down. It also gives a description of the action, saying in the first attack the rear and MU gunners were wounded, a follow up added more damage and as all the crew except F/O Milburn were wounded he decided to try a landing but wasnt succesful. I'm interested to know how the story got out if all the crew were killed.

Thanks in advance for any help

Alistair

Thanks

Sounds like literary supposition to me, unless six of the bodies had bullet wounds. An attempted controlled landing also seems unlikely, as the crash created a crater 10 metres wide and 4 metres deep.
    Regards, Doug.

Thanks

Theo and Rod's Nachtjagd War Diaries attributes the abschuss (probably) to Hptmn Paul Zorner of Stab III./NJG5 S W of Aachen.
    Max
    Max Williams
    www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
    the story of Lancaster ME453

Thanks

Default Lancaster ME851

Hello,

Effectively Paul Zorner claim a 4 engine at 01.05 SW Aechen at that date ops Dusseldorf

Best regards

René

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I've been looking about both Herget and Zorners claims and both seem to have a claim at about the right time and in the general area (Zorners seems closer) - however the list I'm looking at shows Zorners as a Halifax. I'll do a bit more digging on other losses that night and looking again at maps.

Thanks again

Alistair