Thread: 400809 - Unaccounted airmen - 9-8-1940

Thanks

Default Unaccounted airmen - 9-8-1940

What caused the death of:

Sgt (Pilot) Stanley T. NEWCOMBE - 742084 - killed on active service (Flight Global), buried Cranfield (SS Peter & Paul) Churchyard, Bedfordshire (UK3089), and

AC2 Norman H. VASEY - 1353609 - whose name I can't find in the Flight Global archives, buried Gateshead (Saltwell) Cem., Durham County.

Proposed aircraft serials:

Blenheim I - L1377 - 29 Sqn - crashed in forced landing Wittering
    Master I - N7717 - 14 FTS - crashed on take-off at night 1 mile W of Cranfield.

Regards and thanks for your help.
    Henk.

Thanks

Not on Blenheim L1377 - P/O Rhodes and Sgt Gregory uninjured. Engine cut on night patrol. DBR

Warner's Blenheim

A

Thanks

"742084 Sgt. Stanley T. Newcombe, Pilot. 9th August 1940, age 23. Son of John Thomas Newcombe and Ada Jessie Newcombe, of Slough, Buckinghamshire. Row E5. Grave 24. note : Sgt Newcombs headstone is of non standard pattern with matching raised stone border around the plot. It has the following words in lead lettering - In - Loving Memory of - Stanley Thomas Newcombe - Pilot Sgt. RAFVR - Killed on Active Service - Aug. 9th 1940 - Age 23.
    Pilot of Master N7177, of 14 FTS, which crashed on a night flight, 1m W of Cranfield."

A

Thanks

Thanks Amrit. Enjoy the weekend.

Henk.

Thanks

Hello

AC2 Norman Newton VASEY - 1353609 - the Newcastle Chronicle of Saturday August 17th 1940 reported the following:

GASSED AFTER GIRL’S DEATH
    “Mother, I cannot live without her.”
    Such were the words of Aircraftman Norman Vasey (18) of Eastbourne Avenue, Gateshead, after he had attended the funeral of his sweetheart, Joyce Blakey, Tower Street, Gateshead.
    A few hours later he too was dead, having taken his life by gas poisoning.
    The tragedy was related to Gateshead Coroner, Mr. William Carr, at an inquest on Monday, when a verdict that Vasey died “whilst the balance of his mind was disturbed” was returned. Mrs Jane Vasey found her son gassed in a bedroom at their home.

Regards

Simon