Thread: Sunderland - 4(C) OTU - 17-5-1944

Thanks

Default Sunderland - 4(C) OTU - 17-5-1944

Hello,

Seeking a Sunderland serial for the following incident:

On the 17th May 1944, AUS433122 Sgt (Air Gnr.) Stanley George HILL RAAF, died from a gun shot wound to the upper part of the leg. The crew had just completed an operational flight exercise in the aircraft, and the Air Gunners and a Maintenance Armourer were engaged in removing and cleaning the guns at the time of the accident. It would seem from the findings of the Court of Inquiry that the gun was not unloaded after the air firing was carried out. A summary of the evidence is being taken pending Court Martial of the personnel involved.

"An armourer had partially stripped the gun, and on reassembling, the gun fired, and shot Hill in the upper part of the leg. Hill died a few hours later. The accident occurred in the tail compartment of the aircraft, the gun apparently resting on the fitters bench at the time. How the gun came to be loaded is still being investigated."

See: Storr: Vol.22. Operational Training Units. p.404 of 591.

Hill's place of death is given as Invergordon, Scotland. The incident probably occurred at Alness.

Any information appreciated.

Col.

Thanks

Col,
    If not already known by you, his time of death was recorded as 10.55pm, at the Royal Naval Auxilliary Hospital, Invergordon. And it was the upper right thigh.

Thanks

Hi Alan,

Those facts not known to me, and are most welcome. I suspected he died off Base (Alness), that is why I emphasized his place of death.

Much appreciated,

Col.

Thanks

Default Re: Sunderland - 4(C) OTU - 17-5-1944

Better late than never.

The Sunderland was EJ152 4(C)OTU/TT at RAF Alness. There were apparently 15 people on board at the time but apart from the unfortunate Sgt Hill the only details I have for the others are

F/O Clarence Charles CLARK DFC 411679 RAAF (Staff Instructor)
    W/O Donald Murray JORGENSEN 416342 RAAF (Pupil Pilot)
    P/O Geoffrey Graham GATES 419615 RAAF (Role not specified)

This information direct from AHB

Chris