Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 1920s Meteorological Section photo

Thanks

From Flight August 16, 1928

FLIGHT-LIEUT. L. H. BROWNING, M.C., D.F.C., of No. 3 Fighter Squadron, R.A.F., who was killed on August 2 (1920), as the result of an accident whilst flying over the Holbeach ranges, in Lincolnshire, was the only son of Mr. and Mrs. B. P. Browning, of Old Court, Whitchurch, Ross-on-Wye, and was thirty years of age.

Which would make him the first of the two Brownings listed by Tom.

Earlier:

L. H. Browning, M.C., D.F.C.,to Headquarters, Middle East, Egypt. 10.5.23

The undermentioned Flight Lieutenant posted to R.A.F. Depot on transfer to Home Estab., with effect from 30.10.25 :—
    L. H. Browning, M.C.,D.F.C.

L. H. Browning, M.C., D.F.C., to No. 3 Sqdn., Upavon : 4.1.26

A

Thanks

The Times June 1921:

Mr L H Browning and Miss Trollope.
    The engagment is announced between F/O Lance Harold Browning MC, RAF (late Royal Artillery) only son of Mr and Mrs B P Browning of Rose Hill School, Bantstead and Nancy Woollright , fourth daughter of the late Howard W Trollope and Mrs Howard Trollope of Banstead, Surrey.

There is also a mention for his death. It adds that the aircraft was a Woodcock.

Thanks

I think, gentlemen, this one could run forever as more and more names come into the frame. The problem is we have names, but not photographs, and only one of those will settle the matter once and for all.

I have spoken to Jeff Jefford, as he has a large store of knowledge about this era, but he has been unable to come up with any immediate ideas. I suggested it could have been a 'set-up' photo, with a local dressed in a F/L's uniform, to which he replied:

"That said, I'm a bit uncomfortable with the ''native' dressed up in the Boss's kit' explanation - right down to the shirt and tie. That's not prejudice; it's just that I would have thought it far too risqué (risky?) an exercise for that, still very colonial, era - and the idea would have had to be condoned by the Fg Off and the Sgt Major - unless they were cross-dressing too - it all seems a bit unlikely."

Jeff also pointed out the filthy state of the F/L's shoes, something I'd noticed and which compare unfavourably with those of the junior ranks.

I wonder if anyone has a copy of K Hemingway's "Wings over Burma"? The book was dedicated to a G/C Seton Broughall and it might contain a photo of him - I've had a suggestion he might be the Flt Lt.

Brian

Thanks

No picture of Broughall in "Wings over Burma"

A

Thanks

Have read recent posts with great interest.
    As regards Lancelot BROWNING here is a listing incorporating Times searches and Amrit's Flight searches, along with items from Tom and Ross along with info from Norman Franks' MS on medal winners.
    Born Bournemouth 25/09/97 making him the first of the two entries on ancestry and freebmd.
    Educated Rosehill Scholl Banstead Surrey (owned by his father) and Wellington College 1911-1914.
    12/10/14 entered Royal Military Academy, Woolwich 7,509 marks
    28/7/15 2/Lt RFA
    15/5/16 RFC
    6/6/17 30 Squadron Mesopotamia
    15/8/17 F/O
    RFC HQ Egypt for pilot training
    7/12/17 30 Squadron Mesopotamia
    3/9/18 ~ 23/11/18 111 squadron
    11/10/18 MC
    UK
    5/19 63 Squadron Mesopotamia
    21/6/20 announcement of engagement
    9/7/20 DFC
    13/10/21 F/O Technical Duties (Met) RAF HQ Iraq.
    10/5/23 Headquarters, Middle East, Egypt
    30/10/25 R.A.F. Depot on transfer to Home Estab
    4/1/26 3 Squadron Upavon
    1/12/26 attended 3 Squadron annual dinner, Trocadero Restaurant
    4/4/28 note in Times that he has no connection to a namesake listed in a recent civil aviation accident
    2/8/28 accident at Holbeach Ranges to a Woodcock of 3 (Fighter) Squadron, Sutton Bridge. The pilot, Flt Lt Lance Harold Browning MC DFC killed
    Finally, I have copied Norman's illustration of Browning, which I would invite all interested parties to contact me for a copy...
    Dave

Thanks

Speculation ad Infinitum Dave,

Has the submitter of the original photograph on the Rootschat Forum been thoroughly interrogated regarding both the circumstances of the discovery of the photo and if there is a possible family connection?

Was this photo part of a collection directly related to the submitters family or was it discovered in a box that someone acquired at a rag sale?

As Lyffe mentioned above - "this one could run forever".
    Last edited by Ken MacLean; 3rd March 2008 at 20:49.

Thanks

Ken,
    the photograph holder states that it was the backing (or rather packing) to a framed photo of a family member dating from 1915.
    The photo itself is mounted on board, so there is no access to any possible notations on the rear of the photo.
    She has no connections to anyone serving in the RAF, nor any recognition of any of the sitters.
    Her relevant family names are:
    Hemming
    Ivins (this is where the photo came from)
    Morgan
    Packer
    Does make one wonder if the photo was acquired in a rag sale.
    Dave

Thanks

Hate to show my ignorance but what was the location of HQ, Middle East, Egypt in 1923, and ditto for HQ Iraq in 1921? (I'm beginning to like the look of Browning.)

Also, can anyone advise as to when Browning was promoted Flt Lt?

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 10th March 2008 at 20:39.

Thanks

Brian,
    Surtivant/Hamlin/Halley: RAF Flying Training & Support Units (page 9) gives location of HQ, Middle East, Egypt as Cairo (previously Middle East Area HQ and prior to 18/03/1920 was Egyptian Area HQ). RAF Iraq is shown as previously Mesopotamian Group but without date or location. Might Baghdad or nearby Hinaidi be too obvious? Page 194 gives AHQ Iraq at Hinadi in 1938, and page 195 gives Iraq Command (AHQ British Forces In Iraq) as formed 01/10/1922 at Bghdad.
    Franks' MS gave promotion to F/O 15/08/17 - however this might well be my rushed note taking and F/O ought to be F/Lt.
    Correspondents on this thread have all been sent that Browning photo, and like yourself are warming to him.
    Dave

Thanks

Hi Brian,

Should you wish to look at appointed civiy Met men or match the background office to other photos, the Met stations circa 1922 for RAF Iraq were:

Baghdad
    Basrah
    Shaibah
    Mosul
    Ramadi
    Sulalmania
    Kirkuk
    Hillah
    Nasiriyah

Brownings Gradation date for F/L was 1 Jan 1923.

His replacement at RAF HQ Iraq was F/L John F Lawson AFC and his appointment commenced 5 Dec 1924.

In Nov 1922 and June 1926 RAF HQ Iraq is listed as Baghdad City.

Regards
    Ross