Thread: 2nd Lt John William Palmer, 25th December 1918

Thanks

Default 2nd Lt John William Palmer, 25th December 1918

Hello,

I know this is away from the usual range of the board, but a couple of recent threads about similar queries got some answers, so I'm trying my luck.

2nd Lt J.W. PALMER is buried in Genech Communal Cemetery, in northern France. Date of death is given as 25th December 1918. Unit is No. 2 Squadron.

A google search revealed through the Great War forum that he was John William PALMER, lived in Southend, and enlisted in August 1914. He was 22 at the time of this death.

Couldn't find any mention of him in "The aerodrome" website.

PALMER is not mentioned either in Hans Onderwater's book about No. 2 Squadron.

The unit was then based at Genech, flying BE2c.

Can any forumite enlighten me about the circumstances of death of John William PALMER please ? Accidental death ? Spanish flu ? aircraft accident ?

TIA

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss,

His two sided service record is available for down load from TNA online documents.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/airforce.asp

This states that the cause of death was "Accidentally Killed 25/12/18"

On the back is a note that he was classed medically unfit to be a pilot but fit to be Observer 10/05/18

His postings show an 8 day hospital transfer at the start of Oct 1918.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hello Ross,

Thanks for the information and the tip. 1914-18 is not my "cup of tea", and I make a good note of the file reference at Kew (AIR 76/386) for the next visit there. I'll try to dig up the Squadron ORB for 1918 and the time they were based at Genech, for more details. I have extracts of it, but WW2.

Thanks again

Joss