Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 102 sqn Whitley V crash 3 Sept 1941 at Kirton, Suffolk

Thanks

Default 102 sqn Whitley V crash 3 Sept 1941 at Kirton, Suffolk

My cousin, Sgt Alec Jaggers RAF W/Op gunner 927337, died when his Whitley V (serial no. Z6946) of 102 sqn. crashed on 3 September 1941 at Kirton, Suffolk (probably trying to land at Martlesham) on returning from Frankfurt. The rest of the crew who were killed in the crash were all RCAF:
    Flt Sgt D M Bozer, Flt Sgt S T Modeland, Flt Sgt L M Bowen, P/O J C Nixon. The crew are commemorated with their names carved into unique memorial pews in the church at Kirton, which we hope to visit in 2011, 70 years after the crash. The local historian has provided me with as much info as he has, but still have no official crash report. I would appreciate any information available on the crash and crew, with the possibility of contacting any relatives of the crew before our visit to Kirton.

thanks in advance
    Roy

Thanks

The official crash report is still closed to public inspection and will be for a few years yet.

However a precis of findings was transferred at the time to a couple of records that are open now.

The RAF Form 1180 accident card will have been raised because the accident happened on UK soil and this is held at the RAF Museum at Hendon. This notes basic info about the aircraft, casualties, pilot training and give the judgment of the court of inquiry as a single sentence.

At The National Archives, Kew is the Operational Record Book for No.102 Sqn and this will record some basic details of the accident as notified and crew mission/tasking/bomb load etc.

These two documents will give what is typically open to the public.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2020 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Default Ed Cooke

Alec and I first met on course at 19 OTU Kinloss,we were crewed together and our crew was the only one posted to 102 Squadron,the pilot and navigator going to B Flight and Alec and I to A Flight,we were buddies and enjoyed one anothers company.
    On returning from leave in August to find that they had been killed,from what we were given to understand,the pilot tried to pot the aircraft down even though the ground was covered in mist,they should have bailed out and taken their chances,a great loss specially to me as we were so close.
    Ed

Thanks

Default Cwgc

Hi RD..
    Welcome to the forum. Might be worth looking at the guys Commonwealth War Graves Commission entry. If you look at that it may show some of their relatives names. I have successfully used Rootschat to track the families to see if there are some living relatives. The guys on there also use Ancestry to do lookups so might be worth checking out Rootschats Canadian section.
    Dee

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the info. I've found details about the crew from CWGC, so a good start there and will be in touch with Hendon and Kew. So pleased to hear from you Ed, as I when looking for info on Alec I read your story on wartimememories.co.uk and saw the photos of you with Alec. I did send a Private Message to you via the forum with my contact details back in November. I'll resend.

thanks again
    Roy

Thanks

Default Canadian Records

The crash report may be closed to the British public but you might well find very useful data about the crash in the service records of the four Canadian aircrew members.

You should request a copy of the extracted service records for the four members above.
    Details of how to do this are on the webpage below:
    http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-909.007-e.html

They might (might) contain investiagtion reports or other relevent information, letters from families etc. Request each mans extracted geneology pack. It is free but will take a few weeks (months) to recieve the information.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Roy:
    Whitley Z6946 crashed at 0355 hours on 3 September 1941 at Rectory Lane, Kirton. The a/c was attempting to land at Martlesham Heath in poor visibility when it caught electric cables and crashed. Two houses, "The Haven" and "June Cottage" were badly damaged. In addition to bringing down the overhead cables, a water main was fractured. One or two (reports differ) civilians were slightly injured, one a 4 year-old girl. According to a witness I spoke to in 1986, the aircraft "bounced off" the houses and crashed in the garden of one. Possibly you already have all this gen.

I have pictures of the graves of two of the crew at Ipswich Municipal Cemetery, they are in the main WW 2 service plot (there is another group of RAF graves in the N part).

This Whitley was ToC by 102 Sqn on 10 August 1941. Any idea of the code-letter ?

That's about all I know on this one, hope it helps.

BC

Thanks

Thanks BC
    I knew some of your info, but would appreciate copies of the grave photos - I'll send a PM with my details.
    Sorry, but don't have info re code-letter.
    Roy

Thanks

I comment on Ross' signal of 31DEC10 1246Z.
    Is it not time that this absolute nonsense of screening AM/MoD files from "Public View" for 50, or 75, or 100 years, is brought to a very rapid end?
    These draconian time scales were only brought in to protect Senior Military Commanders and/or Politicians from being pilloried in the Media for errors of judgement (probably well deserved!). There may be a very small percentage of Rellies who might(?) take Legal Action to redress apparent wrongs caused by the above SMC and/or P. But in this latter case the SMCs can be sacrificed, but we can't have our popularly elected Policitians shown up in the full public/media spotlighted gaze to have been less than useless when 'guts' and 'decisions' were required, can we?
    Somebody do something!!
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Use your soap box to get yourself elected as an MP and stop shouting at others to do the deed.

I do not make policy for HMG and do not intend this forum to become a political activist.

My way is to work within the current system and tease all the available info from the myriad of open sources. The results of my efforts and countless others are displayed in various form on this and other internet forums and I undertake to keep it open for search engines to find.

This way the meagre can be built on to provide a molehill.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2020 - All rights reserved.