Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 102 sqn Whitley V crash 3 Sept 1941 at Kirton, Suffolk

Thanks

I am glad Dennis used the word "might" in reference to RCAF casualty reports.

In my most recent trip to the LAC in Ottawa I discovered that 2/3rds of the files I pulled were missing any kind of casualty report. Some were missing attestation papers. Anything pertaining to 617 Squadron had items completely missing. You could see where things had been removed and not in 1945.

There was a time where just about every file pulled up had the required parts but on this trip I had to email several forumites and tell them no answers to their questions would be forthcoming from Canadian sources.

In dice games we call it a "crap shoot"

Dave

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ross_McNeill View Post
    The official crash report is still closed to public inspection and will be for a few years yet.Regards
    Ross
    Re: http://lostaircraft.com/database.php...ewentry&e=6199
    Has any further information been released on this loss report in the intervening years?
    Does anyone have further crew details? Full names and positions?

tnx!

Thanks

I have no intention of posting any further work that I undertake so that you can copy and post on another web site that I choose not to populate.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2020 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Default Night of 2/3 September 1941

Quote Originally Posted by R D Walker View Post
    My cousin, Sgt Alec Jaggers RAF W/Op gunner 927337, died when his Whitley V (serial no. Z6946) of 102 sqn. crashed on 3 September 1941 at Kirton, Suffolk (probably trying to land at Martlesham) on returning from Frankfurt. The rest of the crew who were killed in the crash were all RCAF:
    Flt Sgt D M Bozer, Flt Sgt S T Modeland, Flt Sgt L M Bowen, P/O J C Nixon. The crew are commemorated with their names carved into unique memorial pews in the church at Kirton, which we hope to visit in 2011, 70 years after the crash. The local historian has provided me with as much info as he has, but still have no official crash report. I would appreciate any information available on the crash and crew, with the possibility of contacting any relatives of the crew before our visit to Kirton.

thanks in advance
    Roy
    Whitley Z6946 of 102 Sqn on 2/3 September 1941 formed part of a Committee of Enquiry and information was apparently withheld from the Committee of Enquiry at the time, except very brief details, such as aircraft type, serial, home aerodrome, refs to fog in patches over the country, number killed, fuel tanks were full when departing, time of crash as 0345 near Martlesham, suggesting that the aircraft could not have been out of fuel, with the cause "Unknown" and "No Information" submitted before the Committee of Inquiry.

However, there was criticism by the Commmanding-in-Chief R.E.C. Peirse Bomber Command in a letter to Whitehall regarding the Committee of Enquiry and about having no advance warning of smoke screens operating that night which extended up to the cloud base, in operation at Nottingham, Billingham, Castle Bromwich, Corby, Coventry and Derby and along with fog patches at various places over the country on the night of 2/3 Sept 1941, Pilots flying beneath cloud were unable to see anything and Groups were unable to divert aircraft to aerodromes which should have been clear, because approaches and aerodromes were obscured by smoke.

Mark Hood 2014
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 20th November 2014 at 21:03.

Thanks

Mark, Thanks for the additional background information on this one. It all adds to the bigger picture. R D Walker, are you still interested in the pictures of the graves in Ipswich?
    BC

Thanks

No.4 Group did not supply a Met Report Forecast to Committee, but three other Groups did (Met report forecasts now missing) and Peirse was also frustrated at the lack of pre-planning to have other aerodromes and landing sites already available with flare paths in the event of fog, despite the smoke screens contermeasures which annoyed him, especially having no forewarning of the smoke screens. Mark Hood 2014
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 21st November 2014 at 09:20.