Thread: RNZAF Flt/Srgt S.R.Greer Turnberry Scotland 1943

Thanks

Default RNZAF Flt/Srgt S.R.Greer Turnberry Scotland 1943

Hi All.
    My wifes Dad was title he was on a practice torpedo flight with two other Hampdens.They came in to land and his Pilot P/O Les Butterworth?? had to turn away as a rain squall hit them.The flew straight iinto Turnberry Hill and are Buried at Dunure Cemetry.I have heard that part of the Hampden is still in the side of the Hill.Could any one confirm this if Possible. Have photos of grave and the Burial Ceremony and have visited twice 1974 and 1992.My wife has every letter he wrote from sailing out of Wellington up to the day before he died.A prolific writer to his Mother as he and his wifee had separated and gran and grandfather Greer brought her and her sister up.His brother Ashley was a Spitfire Pilot and He died in an Air Collision at Salisbury when he got his commission back in the RAF after the war.He is buried at Old Sarum.Any Help would be most appreciated.Best Regards Ken Berry

Thanks

Some information from google search:

http://www.cambridgeairforce.org.nz/Leslie%20Buttimore.htm

http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/Cenotaph/25037.detail

And the crew included two Australian airmen so their files are availble for viewing on the Australian national Archives

Go too
    http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch/index.aspx

Click on:
    "Search now as a guest"

In the new window that opens search in turn for each of the RAAF mens service numbers:

414413 Flight Sergeant LEE, Eric Douglas
    414043 Flying Officer JOHNSTONE, John Henry Willox

Click on the little blue symbols denoted 'VIEW DIGITAL COPY'

Page 24 of 43 of the A705 Casualty file for F/O Johnstone contains a Form 760 crash report which may be of interest.

These list the crew and positions as

F/O Johnstone (Pilot)
    http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2455554

F/Sgt Lee (Nav/Bomb)
    http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2455558

F/Sgt Greer (W/O/Ag)
    http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2455546

F/Sgt Buttimore (W/O/Ag)
    http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2455537

All of them are buried in Dunure
    http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=2081129&mode=1
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dear Ken

The Hampden File by Harry Moyle ISBN 0 85130 128 2

Hampden Serial no X3026
    Units served with; 44Sq / Converted to torpedo bomber/ 1 Torpedo Training Unit
    Date 7/8/43
    Cause; Hit high ground in bad visibility, Ayrshire.
    Crew; FO JHW Johnstone RAAF and three crew all killed.
    Duty; Training

Handley Page Hampden & Hereford Crash Log ISBN 0 904597 34 2

X3026 1TTU 7/8/43 Flew into high ground in Ayrshire at 15.45 hrs in poor visibility and burnt, killing four. Catagory E. (destroyed / write off)

I suggest you contact the RAF Air Historical Branch. Your wife will be asked to fill out a next of kin form.

Air Historical Branch (RAF) and Publications Clearance Branch (Air)
    Building 824
    RAF Northolt
    West End Road
    Ruislip
    Middlesex
    HA4 6NG.

Contact Numbers:

Telephone:
    020 8833 8155/8153

Fax:
    020 8833 8170

E-Mail Address:
    ahb.raf@btconnect.com

Good luck
    James

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ken berry View Post
    hi all.
    My wifes dad was title he was on a practice torpedo flight with two other hampdens.they came in to land and his pilot p/o les butterworth?? Had to turn away as a rain squall hit them.the flew straight iinto turnberry hill and are buried at dunure cemetry.i have heard that part of the hampden is still in the side of the hill.could any one confirm this if possible. Have photos of grave and the burial ceremony and have visited twice 1974 and 1992.my wife has every letter he wrote from sailing out of wellington up to the day before he died.a prolific writer to his mother as he and his wifee had separated and gran and grandfather greer brought her and her sister up.his brother ashley was a spitfire pilot and he died in an air collision at salisbury when he got his commission back in the raf after the war.he is buried at old sarum.any help would be most appreciated.best regards ken berry
    hi

my father and grandfather worked at a farm called balig near dunure. My father often talked about a ww2 plane which crashed into balig hill killing two new zealand pilots who were buried at dunure cemetry. My family always referred to them as the new xealand boys. I always assumed that they were sr greer and i think ed lee ? As there are not many nz airmen buried at dunure and those two were both killed on the same date 7th august 1943. If you want any more information please dont hesitate to contact me as my father is still living at 89 yo and clearly remembers details you might be interested in.

Thnx
    alex

Thanks

Ken/Alex,
    There were two Hampden crashes on Mochrum Wood/ Mochrum Hill, P2100 on 19/7/42 and X3026 on 7/8/43 which confuses the locations somewhat. Back in the mid eighties my friend and I found wreckage at two different locations with the aid of the farmer at Mochrum Farm. First location of wreckage was just below the summit around the track on the South face which consisted of small pieces dug out by rabbit burrows, part of a bomb sight and some melted parts. Second location was in the woods next to a cattle trough at a spring on the south side and consisted of engine cowls and small airframe parts possible left by the recovery crews. Without part numbers for a clue it would be impossible to say which aircraft belongs to the wreckage.
    The crash at Balig farm was Beaufighter X8263 of 488 sqn which hit the hillside not long after takeoff on 7/8/43 . The crew were two Sgt.'s from Newzealand, D.G Masters(Nav) and R.C O'Gara (Pilot) both are buried at Knighton Cemetery, Radnorshire. From my files we located the crash site with the aid of the farmer from Balig and found some small parts on the hill above the farm. Greer and Lee were on Hampden X3026.
    PM me with 'e'mail address if you would like a map.

Alan.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by al90 View Post
    ken/alex,
    there were two hampden crashes on mochrum wood/ mochrum hill, p2100 on 19/7/42 and x3026 on 7/8/43 which confuses the locations somewhat. Back in the mid eighties my friend and i found wreckage at two different locations with the aid of the farmer at mochrum farm. First location of wreckage was just below the summit around the track on the south face which consisted of small pieces dug out by rabbit burrows, part of a bomb sight and some melted parts. Second location was in the woods next to a cattle trough at a spring on the south side and consisted of engine cowls and small airframe parts possible left by the recovery crews. Without part numbers for a clue it would be impossible to say which aircraft belongs to the wreckage.
    The crash at balig farm was beaufighter x8263 of 488 sqn which hit the hillside not long after takeoff on 7/8/43 . The crew were two sgt.'s from newzealand, d.g masters(nav) and r.c o'gara (pilot) both are buried at knighton cemetery, radnorshire. From my files we located the crash site with the aid of the farmer from balig and found some small parts on the hill above the farm. Greer and lee were on hampden x3026.
    Pm me with 'e'mail address if you would like a map.

Alan.
    hi thanks for that. Curiosity is getting thye better of me and i was wondering if you could tell me how dg masters and rc ogara came to be buried in wales rather than at dunure ???

Thanks

Just done a bit of checking on Masters and O' Gara.....Derrick Gordon Masters was RAFVR and not from Newzealand but attached to 488 (NZ) Squadron at Ayr. The reason both are buried at Knighton was both D.G Masters parents, and I assume he was also, lived at Knighton and it made sense to bury them together especially with O'Gara's home being at the other side of the world.

Alan.

Thanks

Default RNZAF Flt/Srgt S.R.Greer Turnberry Scotland 1943

Pleaase note the Beaufighter crash referred to in the posts below was on 2 April 1943.

Keith

Thanks

Thanks Keith, Beaufighter crash was on 2/4/43. The 7/8/43 was a busy time in ayrshire with Hampden X3026 hitting Mochrum hill and Wellington HX774 going down off Turnberry on the same day.

Alan.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by al90 View Post
    just done a bit of checking on masters and o' gara.....derrick gordon masters was rafvr and not from newzealand but attached to 488 (nz) squadron at ayr. The reason both are buried at knighton was both d.g masters parents, and i assume he was also, lived at knighton and it made sense to bury them together especially with o'gara's home being at the other side of the world.

Alan.
    thanks for that information i will tell my father this news tonight. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me.

Alex