Thread: Typhoons balloon cables collisions

Thanks

Default Typhoons balloon cables collisions

Hi all,
    during the war 4 Hawker Typhoons were lost and their 3 pilots were killed by hitting barrage balloon cables. Because the Typhoon was very sturdy plane, Id like to know how many other Typhoons/pilots survived similar collisions.
    Regards
    Mojmir

Thanks

Hi Mojmir,

unfortunately I am not able to give you exact answer but if it helps there are particular files in The National Archives, Kew, London, covering accidents/collisions with balloon cables. No exact planes mentioned but brief description of place, date, fate if know.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

My father wrote...October 1942 ..."After the excitement of yesterday I had almost forgotten it was my birthday until I received the presents. They very nearly came to grief, as the pilot who flew them over here from Weston Zoyland, hit a balloon cable on route. He arrived here badly cut about and his Mustang came in with a lot of his tail missing."

I believe barrage balloons had charges in them that sent out bullets at any aircraft that hit them. Anyone know for certain?

Motherbird

Thanks

Hi Motherbird,

there were several types of balloon barages except the plain there was more dangerous:
    Double Parachute Link (DPL) the cable will disconnect from the ground and baloon after the impact and will stay on the plane. The balloon will descend to the ground and on the cable ends small parachutes will open to brake the plane witj the aim to crash it.

Also similar:
    Long Aerial Mine (LAM) serie of mines on parachutes dropped from bomber into the path of enemy bomber Again after the impact the upper parachute disconnected, new opened on the bottom which moves the cable around the plane with the aim to draw down the mine to the plane.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz