Thread: 2096437 Leading Acw. Elizabeth Cowan.

Thanks

Default 2096437 Leading Acw. Elizabeth Cowan.

Elizabeth 'Betty' Cowan, commemorated by CWGC, died 24th October 1945 is recorded as having suffered bomb blast injuries in London, location unidentified, sometime late 1944 or early 1945. It is further recorded that she was discharged from hospital and continued care at home in Whitehaven Cumberland; no reference to haveing been discharged from The WAAF.

Although the incident occurred in London there is no indication that she was serving there, also it is said that she was with a friend 'Daphne Pope' who was killed in the incident, no indication that she was a WAAF but I have not located her on CWGC.

I appreciate that it is a long-shot but would be grateful if anybody can advise -
    1 - Where was Elizabeth Cowan serving
    2 - Was she discharged before her death
    3 - was Daphne Pope a WAAF

Tony

Thanks

Hi Tony,

from the Death index i have found a Daphne N Pope, registered in Surrey Mid Eastern district last quarter (October, Nov, Dec) 1944, aged 28. Looks promising, but she is not on CWGC from what i can see. You could (if you want to cough up the money) order her death certificate to see if it throws a location up for the bombing (depending on if she was killed instantly or taken to a hospital).

You could also drop the RAF Museum's department of research a line asking them to identify Cowan's unit. I have found that if their list (which is from the AHB apparently) does not state a unit, then the person in question had almost certainly been discharged at time of death. (I've found this to be the case with about 6 of 'my' men).

Hope that helps,

Tom

Thanks

Cheers Tom.

Will have to give it some thought. Spending too much on DCs these days.

Tony

Thanks

I sent a request to the RAF Museum in an attempt to ascertain the London location of the bombing incident that caused the deaths of both LACWs Elizabeth Cowan and Daphne Pope WAAFs. They were unable to give me any specific details other than a number of personnel were killed in a V-weapon incident in Kensington.

So can anybody advise me if there was an RAF Establishment/Headquarters or whatever in the Kensington area that was hit by a V1 or V2 in November 1944?

Grateful for any advice.

Tony

Thanks

If Cowan is recorded in the CWGC registers as an LACW, then surely she would still be serving. If not and her death was attributed to a bombing incident, she would probably have been recorded under 'Civilian War Dead'.

The books 'After The Blitz' series might record the incident in which she received her injuries but it does seem that she was retained in service a long time if she did not die until 1945.

Old Duffer

Thanks

Old Duffer

Cowan is recorded by CWGC but she died at home, as a result of her injuries, a year later.

Pope is not recorded by CWGC, the main reason for my enquiry as to the location of the incident. If Pope was a casualty of the V bomb incident then I shall be preparing a case for her commemoration. I am waiting for Pope's Death Certificate that hopefully should provide the location but in the meantime thought I might get the answer here.

The RAF Museums comment "that a number of personnel were killed in a V-weapon incident in Kensington" suggested to me RAF Personnel in an RAF establishment, but what establishment?

Tony

Thanks

AIR 78/128, p 669, discussed in another thread gives two Daphne Popes:

Daphne Grace Pope, 480926 (the card is stamped "Militia")
    Daphne Nettleton Pope, 2005320

Hope this helps.

Regards

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Thanks Mikkel
    email on the way
    Tony

Thanks

Default Daphne N Pope

Quote Originally Posted by Tonym View Post
    Thanks Mikkel
    email on the way
    Tony
    Daphne was not injured by any form of bombing. She died at her home in Surrey,23rd November 1944. Burial site unknown at present, but I am searching.

Cause of her death was due to a lung disease, which was prevalent at the time. I think she was medically discharged from the WAAF s were she was a Leading Aircraft Woman No2005320. Perhaps the family never reported her death to the WAAfs, this may be a reason her name was omitted from the CWGC.

I think it may well have been co-incidental, the time of the bombing and her death, and when the news eventually got to Whitehaven, it was misinterpreted as both of them being killed at the same time.

Thanks

Chalkie

I have just logged on again and not only your post but an email from the person who initially asked for my assistance and his info is almost identical to yours with details of her Death Cert. that he has just received from another source.

I appreciate that assumption is a mortal sin in research but as Daphne Pope died, by coincidence, at the same time as the bombing from which her friend, Elizabeth Cowan eventually died, I suppose I can be excused. I even have a photograph of them both together.

So Daphne's details will now go into my pending file just in case it is proved that she was still a serving WAAF when she died. Case closed for now!

Tony