Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hudson loss 220 squadron 6th August 1941

Thanks

Default Hudson loss 220 squadron 6th August 1941

Hi, can anybody help me out with any information regarding the loss of a 220 Squadron Hudson on 6th August 1941, I have tried googling but information is quite sparse. I would be interested to find out the operation details, cause of loss and aircrew involved.
    Thanks in advance,
    Rick

Thanks

it will be in Ross CCl V1 but its at home but there are at least four 220 Sqn airmen listed when you search the CWGC using Geoff Sullivans website:
    http://www.hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/search39-47.php

CLENCH PK 88391 220 SQDN 06/08/1941 ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE
    COOK HO 635563 220 SQDN 06/08/1941 ROYAL AIR FORCE
    JAMESON RS 81923 220 SQDN 06/08/1941 ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE
    MCHUGH TJ 653675 220 SQDN 06/08/1941 ROYAL AIR FORCE

I can't see any Canadian, Australian NZ, airmen etc that might be crew members but the above might not be the complete crew.

And when you search for Clench within the archives of this forum you get this old thread:
    http://www.rafcommands.com/dcforum/DCForumID6/Data/4895.txt

Difficult to read but Hudson AM583 quoted from Ross McNeill CCL Vol 1.

Search the archives using google
    clench site:rafcommands.com
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi, looking through the archives, it states that this aicraft was possibly the victim of Lt Alfred Jakobi who was flying an ME109 out of Atavanger Sola. Is anybody able to confirm this and also his squadron?

Cheers,
    Rick

Thanks

06/08/41
    Hudson V
    AM583
    NR-F

Op: Bert Patrol, RAF Thornaby, Time Up 21:20 hrs

F/O R S Jameson
    P/O P K Clench
    F/Sgt T J McHugh
    Sgt H O Cook

Airborne at Thornaby for a Bert Patrol and failed to return. F/O Jameson and his crew are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

1 Hudson claimed by Lt. Jakobi

Not much to confirm the loss

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ravrick View Post
    Hi, looking through the archives, it states that this aicraft was possibly the victim of Lt Alfred Jakobi who was flying an ME109 out of Atavanger Sola. Is anybody able to confirm this and also his squadron?

Cheers,
    Rick
    For his unit and base, try over at the "13 O'Clock High!" luftwaffe board, or the "Luftwaffe Experten Message Board". Folks there should know - received wisdom seems to be he was on 13./JG 77, however the Norwegian Luftwaffe Special Interest Group says that Staffel was on the Russian Front.

Thanks

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies, it looks like the Hudson was the first of 10 "Kills" by Lt Jakobi, he also had the distinction of shooting down the first B17 during WW2 - 525 D-DOG of 90 Sqn on Sept 8th 1941 (3rd Kill). From what I can gather he had 4 kills on the western front before transfering to Russia where he got the other 6 before being shot down himself on the 9th April 1942.

Rick

Thanks

Hi, thanks again guys, can anybody tell me the duties of the crew, I assume F/O Jameson was the pilot, what would P/O Clench be - the Navigator? F/Sgt McHugh -Bomb Aimer? Sgt Cook Air Gunner?

Cheers,
    Rick

Thanks

Default Hudson AM583

some more details about the loss of this aircraft were published in my book Sea Eagles, published by Air Research in 1994. This book is out of print but there is a newer revised and extended version available, Die Jäger der Graf Zeppelin. As you might infer this is in German.
    Jakobi did indeed go on to claim 10 vicories before being shot down and captured by the Soviets, spending some years in captivity. He died in 1978.
    Clench was in fact the co-pilot, I had contact with his wife and brother.
    What is your interest in this aircraft loss?

Francis

Thanks

Hi,
    My interest in P/O Clench is because I have his framed Memorial Scroll and I am trying to peice together the details of his death and aircraft loss. My thanks to forum members for all their input and information offered up so far.

Rick

Thanks

Default Harry (Owen) Cook

I realise I am about 2 years behind this thread but having come across it I am very interested in it for very personal reasons.

Specifically

Sgt HO Cook (Owen) was my great uncle, I would therefore love to know as much about his RAF career as possible in particular this patrol.

I went to Kew to review the squadron logs which were interesting in that they are inconsistent.

The day log states the plan flew from Thornaby while the monthly summary states Wick. (I think from memory it may be the othr way round)

However a discrepency.

Given the other guys were his buddies if anyone has a picture of the full crew or their plane or can just point me to any further source it would be really fantastic.

A long shot I know but any help would be appreciated.

Glenn