PDA

View Full Version : SEAC Liberator VI - bomb sight version, late 1944/early 1945?

wwrsimon
20th June 2014, 17:01
Can anyone tell me what model of bomb sight would have been fitted to a 159 Sqn Liberator VI in the late 1944/early 1945 time period? A Mk. XIV, perhaps?

Regards

Simon

colinpateman
20th June 2014, 18:51
Simon an interesting question which I hope gets some detailed information, 159 Squadron I know developed some low level bombing tactics for destroying the many bridges it was tasked to across Burma. I feel these were so low it was possibly without such a device. colin.

wwrsimon
20th June 2014, 19:00
Interesting reply too Colin, I'd not considered them not having one fitted at all.

Simon

David Duxbury
21st June 2014, 01:53
As most Lend-Lease American aircraft came fully equipped from the USA with a full suite of operational and communications equipment already fitted (although this might include aircraft which had passed throught modification centres to be equipped to RAF specifications post manufacture) it is possible that they had the original USAAF bomb sight of the time. This would not preclude the RAF (or civilian contractor) fitting British bomb sights post delivery in UK or India or Egypt, etc of course, as it would be just as easy to fit a relatively installable/removable item in the UK or operational theatre as shipping such equipment to USA for fitting there. Many RAF Liberators went through their careers equipped with their factory-installed radar, radios, and American emergency equipment, although this could be supplemented by additional equipment fitted later (and often for which provision had already been incorporated, such as wiring, mounting brackets, etc.)
David D

Graham Boak
21st June 2014, 16:46
Jim Auton's book RAF Liberator over the Eastern Front refers to the Mk.14. I would expect the SEAC bombers to be the same.

wwrsimon
21st June 2014, 18:40
Thanks for that Graham, that's very helpful.

Regards

Simon