View Full Version : 410828 - Unaccounted airmen - 28-8-1941

Henk Welting
2nd December 2008, 15:32
What were the places of death registration for:

F/Lt Brian C. BLOOR - 76255 - 6 BC, 916 (Balloon) Sqn (Coventry);
LAC Harold G. DICKER - 1157201 - 71 Sqn (North Weald, Essex);
LAC (Obs u/t) Thomas A. DIXON - 1119294;
LAC (Obs) Frederick C. GLOCKLER - 1376289;
Sgt Frank HARKER - 515732;
LAC (Pilot) Reginald HOWARD - 1101868;
LAC Clifford A. JOHNSON - 989623 - 114 Sqn (West Raynham, Norfolk);
LAC (Pilot) Peter H.A. PICKERING - 1218857, and
AC2 William F. WATTIS - 1039244.

Proposed aircraft losses for this day:

Hurricane I - P2558 - 9 FTS - abandoned Leigherton, Leicestershire.
Master I - N7935 - 5 FTS - flew into ground 1 mile E of Gnossall, Staffordshire.
Master I - N8367 - 9 FTS - overshot landing at night Calcot Farm, Tetbury, Gloucestershire.
Master I - T8379 - 9 FTS - crashed; no further details.
Tiger Moth II - T5829 - 19 EFTS - crashed on approach Northrop, Flintshire.

Regards and thanks for your help.

2nd December 2008, 17:10
Hi Henk
Bloor,38, registered at Stafford.His family came from Stafford and his wife lived there so he may have been at home when he died.From his age and his unit I doubt that he would have been involved in a Flying Accident. From CWGC he seems to have been a 1st War Veteran
Pickering,18, is also registered at Stafford and this is the right area for Gnosal(Master N7935).
Dicker,25,registered at Epping, Essex
Howard,30,registered at Cirencester, Gloucestershire, the right area for Tetbury
Johnson,21, registered at Liverpool S
I found a William H Wattis,32, registered at Newcastle under Lyme ,Staffordshire, the middle initial different from CWGC
I couldn't find Dixon or Glockler so both may be outside England and Wales
I could only find 1 Frank Harker,registered in Sheffield ,Yorkshire but his age was 41 and the Harker on CWGC was 27 so I don't think the Sheffield registration is what you are looking for

2nd December 2008, 21:01
F/Lt Brian C. BLOOR - 76255 - Found DOAS scanned as Act Fit. Lt. B. C. Biuor;
LAC (Obs u/t) Thomas A. DIXON - KOAS He is registered in Q4 in Anglesey W District

LAC (Obs) Frederick C. GLOCKLER - He is registered in Q4 in Anglesey W District. Missing believed KOAS [While engaged on non operational flying duties or through enemy action on the ground] The missing here would probably explain the late registration.

LAC (Pilot) Reginald HOWARD - KOAS
AC2 William F. WATTIS - DOAS, he is W F in flight also.

Note that there is a FRANCIS Harker age 28 registered Q3 in Alyesbury district, wrong name and age but might a typo. There is No Harker fitting the bill in Soctland I think, I have no credits though.

cheers Dennis

2nd December 2008, 23:27
The No.19 EFTS was non-fatal, here is the entry from the ORB “Accident to Tiger Moth No.T5829, Pilot Officer Edwards unhurt.”

Henk Welting
3rd December 2008, 10:09
Thanks friends for all your help; will amend my files. Again some names to be deleted from the long list of airmen 'unaccounted for'.

Ken MacLean
3rd December 2008, 17:39

A/F/Lt. B.C. Bloor DOAS, Times 24 September 1941.

3rd December 2008, 21:18
Hi Henk, Pickering was the solo pilot on N7935.

Cheers, Tom

Roy Nixon
4th December 2008, 09:29
Hello Henk
I think there is an error with Hurricane P2558.
I beleive it was with 9FTS and was abandond near Leigherton,GLOUCESTERSHIRE, which was a RLG.
There is no Leigherton in my home county of Leicestershire.
Regards and keep up the good work.

Henk Welting
4th December 2008, 14:41
Thanks Ken, Tom and Roy.
Roy: Gloucestershire for P2558 correct; I quoted incorrectly from Air Britain's Aeromilitaria list "Crashes in UK - WW2".

20th May 2009, 19:55
A visit to Kew has given the answer to two of the deaths on the list. The following is the entry from the RAF Valley station ORB for the 28th August.

August 28th 1941, “Botha Disaster, 28/8/41.
About 11.00 hours on the morning of the 28th August, 1941 a Botha aircraft No.L6417 from No.4 Air Observers’ School, West Freugh, crashed into the sea, about 1,200 yards from the Coast at Rhosneigr Grid Reference 1” O.S. Map, Sheet 41, VH 7695. The weather was very stormy, with wind gusting to 50 – 60 m.p.h., and a tremendous sea running. The sea was too heavy for any of the numerous rescue launches and lifeboats to attempt a rescue of the crew, but repeated individual attempts to effect rescues were made by a large number of both service and civilian personnel who had gathered on the beach. Many individual acts of heroism were performed, but unfortunately the three members of the crew of the Botha were all drowned.

These were:- Sgt Rosiewicz, K.S., No.782028 (Polish) L.A.C. Dixon T.A. No.1119294, L.A.C. Glockler F.C. No.1376289.

In addition, no less than eleven others lost their lives in rescue attempts, as follows:-

L.A.C. Bannister D.W. No.819139
L.A.C. Ford L.A. No.845761
2nd Lieut P.T. Whysall, No.145327
Gunner S. Willkins, No.1832511
Gunner C.H. Thornton, No.1332450
Gunner R.K. Simons, No.1832431
Gunner R. Eaton, No.1832747
Sgt Major, Moger A.W. No.1832450
Mr C.G. Evan Jones, Coastguard
Mr A.H. Owen
P.C.14, George Arthur

L.A.C. Bannister and L.A.C. Ford were from No.615 Squadron, RAF Valley, attached for duty in the Aerodrome Control Section. The six army casualties were all from the 226th L.A.A. Trg Regt, Stationed at Rhosneigr.

From many individual examples of bravery and courage, the following have been specially singled out for their gallant effects at rescue:-
Sgt J.J. Plunkett, No.456 Squadron R.A.A.F. (Australian)
Derek Hubert Baynham, “Woodside”, Burwood Park Road, Walton-on-Thames
James Leslie Stuart Wood, 20, Glan Aber Park, Chester.
These have been recommended for Awards (immediate) and the following brief extracts from their individual recommendations tell the story of their services:-

Sergeant Plunkett
“…. Sergeant Plunkett, seeing several people struggling in the water swam out and was instrumental in bringing ashore one of the crew of the aircraft who was unconscious and later died. He again swam out and brought three other people to shore, thus saving their lives. His skill, courage and determination were of the very highest order, and in view of the very heavy sea which was running, and the strong wind prevailing, he showed complete disregard of his own safety”.

Derek Hubert Beynham )
John Leslie Stuart Wood ) “….The above named put off in a small rowing boat in a very heavy sea and strong wind. Just before reaching the aeroplane the boat was swamped. With great difficulty and with the aid of any [an] oar they got one airman (Sgt Rosiewicz) and between them endeavoured to get him to land. The airman where within about 100 yards from the shore, was lost, and the above named civilians with assistance managed to scramble to land.

Although their efforts were unsuccessful in saving the life of the airman, the great courage an determination they displayed is deserving of the highest praise. The plucky effort of these two boys was witnessed by many responsible people from the shore, all of whom speak in the very highest terms of their gallant effort”.”

20th May 2009, 20:17
Thanks for the prod Alan,

This is the detail from the RNLI Records of Service 1939-46

A British bombing aeroplane had come down in the sea about 11.30 in the morning, off Rhosneigr, Anglesey, twenty miles away on the other side of Caernarvon Bay, and at 12.36 P.M. a message was received from the naval officer at Holyhead asking that the life-boat should be sent at once to the rescue. The motor life-boat M.O.Y.E. was launched at 12.48
and arrived off Rhosneigr at about 2.30. A moderate gale was blowing and the sea was
rough. It was now three hours since the bomber had come down, and in the meantime
very gallant efforts to rescue the aeroplane’s crew of three men had been made from the
shore. All the attempts were unsuccessful, and eleven of the rescuers, as well as the three
airmen, had been drowned. When the lifeboat arrived there was nothing to be seen
except two aeroplanes overhead, and the life-boat searched for nearly an hour, but
found nothing. She then returned to her station, arriving at seven in the evening.-
Rewards, £4 12s.

Thirteen Medals for Gallantry
On the 28th August, 1941, determined efforts were made to rescue the crew of a British aeroplane which had crashed in the sea.
MR. DERRICK H. BAYNHAM was awarded the silver medal.
MR. JOHN L. S. WOOD was awarded the silver medal.
SECOND LIEUTENANT PETER T. WHYSALL, R.A. was posthumously awarded the bronze medal
BATTERY SERGEANT-MAJOR ALFRED W. MOGER, R.A. was posthumously awarded the bronze medal.
GUNNER CLARENCE H. THORNTON, R.A. was posthumously awarded the bronze medal.
GUNNER REGINALD EATON, R.A. was posthumously awarded the bronze medal.
MR. ARTHUR J. OWEN, Second Officer, Mercantile Marine, was posthumously awarded the bronze medal.
POLICE CONSTABLE GEORGE C. ARTHUR was posthumously awarded the bronze medal.
SERGEANT C. JACKSON, R.A. was awarded the bronze medal.
LANCE BOMBARDIER T. TAYLOR, R.A. was awarded the bronze medal.
GUNNER J. W. PARKINSON, R.A. was awarded the bronze medal.
COASTGUARD OFFICER EVAN JONES was posthumously awarded the bronze medal.
AIRCRAFTSMAN 1st CLASS ALBERT E. ATKINSON was awarded the bronze medal.

About 11.30 in the morning of the 28th of August, 1941, a British bombing aeroplane crashed in the sea off Rhosneigir. A gale was blowing from the south-west, with a very heavy sea. The nearest life-boat, the Holyhead motor life-boat, was at a shipyard for overhaul, and her crew were away fetching a relief life-boat. The Porthdinllaen motor life-boat was called out and launched at 12.48 in the afternoon. She reached Rhosneigir about 2.30. By that time there was nothing to seen of the aeroplane, but even if the life-boat been able to arrive earlier the aeroplane was in water so shallow that it would have been impossible for the life-boat to reach her and rescue the crew. The most gallant attempts at rescue were made by four shore boats, and by many people working from the beach, but all the efforts failed, and not only were the three airmen lost, but eleven of the rescuers. The honorary secretary of the Holyhead life-boat station, who visited Rhosneigir afterwards, said that these gallant attempts must have been hopeless from the start, for the seas that were driving on shore with the tide running out against them were not rolling in and breaking on the open beach in the usual way, but moving like walls of water, with curling tops. Almost as soon as the aeroplane came down on the water two of her crew were washed off her. The third clung to the fuselage. He was seen by two boys of seventeen, Mr. John L. S. Wood, of Chester, and Mr. Derrick Baynham, of Walton-on-Thames. With a total disregard for their own safety they at once launched a small dinghy and set out to the rescue. It took them three-quarters of an hour of hard rowing to reach the aeroplane, and they showed wonderful seamanship in handling, and keeping afloat that small open boat through the heavy seas. But as they turned it to go alongside the aeroplane, a sea caught it broad-side on and capsized it. Both the boys were thrown into the water, but both succeeded in clinging to the over-turned boat. Then they left it and swam to the aeroplane on which the airman was crouching. When they had regained their breath they decided to make for their boat again. It was being driven shoreward and they feared that at any moment the aeroplane might sink. They persuaded the airman, a Pole, to go with them. He had been slightly injured in the crash, and was weak from shock and exposure. He was scarcely able to help himself, and was supported by the two boys as, battered by the seas, they struggled to keep their heads above water. The aeroplane as well as the boat was being carried shoreward, and in their struggle they used anything they could get hold of, an oar, the boat and occasionally the aeroplane itself. In this way they gradually drifted nearer
to the shore and one of the boys and the airman managed to seize a beach defence post. It was not strong enough to bear their combined weight, so the boy left the airman to hold on to it, and again struck off towards the shore. Both the boys had now almost given up hope of reaching another defence post or the shore itself, but people on the shore, who had watched their splendid struggle, were preparing to go to their help. They formed a human chain, reaching far out from the shore, and this chain succeeded in seizing and passing in the two boys.
Unfortunately it was not able also to rescue the Polish airman. He was actually then in his own depth as he clung to the post, but he was so
exhausted that he could not hold on. He lost his grip, was swept away and drowned. Meanwhile other, very gallant, efforts had been made to reach the aeroplane. One man had put out in a boat alone, but was forced by the heavy seas to turn back. Then nine men put out in a whaler. Seven of them were soldiers and the other two were an officer of the merchant navy and a police constable. They must have realised that they were making an almost hopeless attempt, at the risk of their own lives, but they refused to listen to the warning of other people on the shore. They felt it their duty to make the attempt. They succeeded in rowing the whaler well out to sea, but in trying to bring her under the lee of the aeroplane they were caught and capsized by a heavy sea, and were thrown into the water in all directions. One of the nine men managed to struggle ashore himself. Two, neither of whom could swim, clung to an oar. A man swam out from the beach to
help them, and brought them in. They were only half conscious, but were revived. The other six men were all washed up, but it was impossible to revive them. Yet a fourth boat put out with two men on board, a coastguard and an aircraftsman. This boat too was capsized.
The coastguard was drowned, the aircraftsman was saved. People on shore saw the capsize of the boats and the men on board them
thrown into the water, and fourteen soldiers and airmen swam out to help them. Four of these fourteen men lost their lives. During these heroic efforts aeroplanes were flying low overhead and dropping life-belts to the rescuers struggling in the water. The Institution made the following awards to those who had attempted rescue with the use of boats :
To JOHN L. S. WOOD and DERRICK BAYNHAM, each the silver medal for gallantry, with a copy of the vote inscribed on vellum. They were also both awarded George Medals, and received money rewards from the Air Ministry, and silver cigarette-cases from General Sikorski, Commander-in-Chief of the Polish Forces, with his signature on them ;
To SERGEANT C. JACKSON, LANCE BOMBARDIER T. TAYLOR and GUNNER J. W. PARKINSON, the three survivors of the nine men who manned the whaler, each the bronze medal for gallantry, with a copy of the vote inscribed on vellum ;
To AIRCRAFTSMAN(1St Class) ALBERT E. ATKINSON the survivor of the two men who manned the fourth boat, the bronze medal for gallantry, and a copy of the vote inscribed on vellum.
The bronze medal for gallantry, with a copy of the vote inscribed on vellum, was also posthumously awarded to each of the seven men
who lost their lives in the boats, as follows :
The Royal Humane Society rewarded those who had made attempts at rescue by swimming.
Fourteen men put out in boats. Seven of them lost their lives. Fourteen men swam out. Four of them lost their lives.

Sgt Kazimierz Stefan Rosiewicz (P-782028)
Born 19 Feb 1917. In 1937 joined Air Force Cadet School (Szkola Podchorazych Lotnictwa) at Deblin. Discharged on the strength of Order No.117/38. Called up in August 1939, he managed to get the UK where he completed a flying training course and was posted to No.4 AOS at Valley as a pilot. On 28 August 1941 he took off on a training flight with two RAF airmen in Blackburn Botha LG417. The aircraft experienced engine failure and crashed into the sea. All the three crew members were drowned. Sgt Rosiewicz's body was washed ashore on 11 September 1941 and he was buried at Holyhead, Anglesey, grave 128.

Source: Olgierd Cumft, Hubert Kazimierz Kujawa. Ksiega Lotnikow Polskich Poleglych, Zmarlych i Zaginionych 1939-1946. Wydawnictwo Ministerstwa Obrony Narodowej, Warszawa 1989.


20th May 2009, 23:00
As I have got on with typing up the entries I copied today I have a mention of AC1 Atkinson in 1942.

April 22nd 1942, “Award for Courage – AC1 A.E. Atkinson, fitter marine, announced as having been awarded the Bronze Medal of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution in recognition of the courage he displayed on August 28th, 1941, in connection with the flying accident described on page 9. To be presented at C.O.’s parade on May 7th.”

Henk Welting
23rd May 2009, 13:42
Strange that Gunner S. WILKINS - 1832511, as mentioned by Al, is not listed having been posthumously awarded for his part in the rescue.

4th March 2011, 00:34
Unsure if you are still gathering information. Reginald Howard 1101868 was my father.
I do have some documentation of the accident.

4th March 2011, 08:54
Welcome to the forum De,

If you would like you coudl scan the information and place it on flickr, the photo hosting site or a similar one or send it on and i can pop it up on a adirectory on my website.

Woudl you like to give us a synopsis of what the reports say? What kind of documents are they?

Thanks for contacting us.


27th September 2017, 14:01

F/Lt Brian C. BLOOR - 76255 - the Staffordshire Advertiser of August 30th 1941 carried the following announcement:

BLOOR - on Aug. 27, 1941, at the Staffordshire General Infirmary, Flight-Lieut. Brian Cotter, beloved husband of Vera Bloor and fifth son of Vincent and Mabel Bloor, of The Elms, Newport Road, Stafford.

LAC (Pilot) Reginald HOWARD - 1101868 - 'Clipped Wings, Vol 1' by Colin Cummings, page 368 confirms him as being killed in T8367 of 9 F.T.S.

LAC Clifford A. JOHNSON - 989623 - the Liverpool Evening Express of September 2nd 1941 reported the following:

Airman Killed in Lift
How a young airman met his death while visiting his father at his work was revealed at the inquest held today on Aircraftman Clifford Ambrose Johnson, aged 21, of Kaigh Avenue, Crosby, a silver fox farmer before joining the R.A.F.
Aircraftman Charles Collins...who was with Johnson when he went to visit his afterh, said: "At about 5.45 we arrived at his father's office, but he was working, so we decided to wait.
"We hung around the stairs on the ground floor...waiting for Mr. Johnson to appear. I heard Johnson say 'Here's a lift.' I did not take much noitice of this, but suddenly I heard the sound opf the lift in motion. When I looked around the lift was about two or three feet from the ground and Johnson appeared to want to jump out. The lift gained speed and he was jammed between the lift floor and the outer structur of the lift shaft." Witness was satisfied that Johnson had not opened the gates of the lift.
William Henry Hall, manager of Messrs. E. P. Cottiers, Ltd., said that the lift...gates had an electro-mechnical locking system, which was not in order at the time. Arrangements had been made to carry out repairs during the following weekend. John Sutton, resident caretaker of th buildings, said it was due to that defect that the lift would be able to function without the gates being closed.
The Liverpool City Coroner (Mr. G. C Mort) recorded a verdict of Accidental Death.

AC2 William F. WATTIS - 1039244 - the National Probate Calendar recors that he died at R.A.F. Hospital, Locking, Weston-super-Mare.



12th January 2019, 07:44

One elimination, one (serial) correction:

The pilot of who baled out of No.9 FTS Hurricane I P2558 was, 1312483 LAC Dennis Potter SMITH RAFVR (later 106189), survived. The serial for No.9 FTS Master I N8367, should read T8367.


10th February 2022, 16:12
Brian Cotter Bloor 76255 , B Flight Commander, died in Staffordshire Infirmary of post operative complications

28th February 2023, 13:45
Frank ( FRANCIS in his records ) Harker 515732 | was admitted seriously Ill to RAF hospital Halton on 10 August, becoming dangerously ill on 26 August, dying at 11:20 Hours of chronic uraemia

The current entry in this database is wholly erroneous

23rd March 2023, 16:28
William Francis Wattis 1039244| attached to Number 3 Wing of 14 Recruit’s Centre | as an ACH/B.Op, was admitted dangerously ill to RAF station hospital, Locking on 14 August, where he died at 11:00 Hours of a perforated gastric ulcer