PDA

View Full Version : Book: Fortress with RAF Coastal Command

robstitt
29th April 2009, 17:18
I’m pleased to announce that my book on the history of the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress with RAF Coastal Command will be published this summer/early fall.

Copies can be reserved by contacting Roger Wallsgrove at: rogerwATmmpbooksDOTbiz

Books ordered in advance of publication will be sent post-free.

A heartfelt 'thank you' to the many of you who contributed to the research and special thanks to Ross for providing the Forum and endorsing this posting.

Best regards:

Robert

robstitt
12th August 2009, 05:26
By way of an update to those that may have pre-ordered, looks like it will now be year-end before the book is published.
Regards:
Robert

robstitt
9th April 2010, 21:30
Happy to let you know that my book, 'Boeing B-17 Fortress in RAF Coastal Command Service', is about to be printed and will be available very shortly.

If you have already ordered a copy, thank you... and thank you for your patience. If not, now would be a good time to contact Mushroom Model Publications (MMP) via:

Roger Wallsgrove at: roger.wallsgroveATbtinternetDOTcom or in the UK phone 01730 300795

The MMP web site at: www.mmpbooks.biz/mmp/index.php - purchase details to be added shortly.

Thanks again to all those who contributed. I look forward to your feedback.

Kind regards:

Robert

robstitt
14th June 2010, 15:51
The Coastal Command Fortress book is now ready and can be found at:
http://www.mmpbooks.biz/mmp/index.php and purchased through MMP's Shop tab.
Regards:
Robert

AlanW
14th June 2010, 15:53
On my way!!!
And ordered.

AlanW
28th June 2010, 15:08
I have not got far through the book up to now, but before i started reading it seriously, i thumbed through it, as i do all books, just to get a first impression. My first impression was that judging on what i saw on my thumb through, this is going to be an excellent read. Tons of photo's and illustrations, loads of technical data, all perfectly laid out. Nice to see some of the faces of those airmen i've been in written contact with in the past. This is a must for any RAF researcher's bookshelf, especially if you're into Coastal Command. Only one very tiny tiny tiny dissapointment for me, is that the book does not have the hard-cover that it most certainly deserves:-)

SteveBrooking
23rd July 2010, 12:49
I have now received my copy of Robert’s book and I have to say I am very pleased with it.

By way of background I have been quite disappointed in the last three purchases I have made from MMP. Two of those were in the White Series and in both cases I found the content pretty thin and worse the content was stretched out with large fonts, line spacing etc to fill what seemed to me to be 50% more pages than were actually justified.

I am interested in all aspects of RAF WW2 operational history but neither the B-17 nor Coastal Command are mainstream topics for me. I bought “The Boeing B-17 Fortress in RAF Coastal Command Service” because having observed Robert’s participation on this board over the years I thought “well this (new book in the White Series) must be better” and it is! It very much corrects my earlier views and provides a book that reflects what I expected from the MMP White Series.

This is a very substantial and professional effort that I am pleased to have on my bookshelf. My only reservation is that, like many recent books from various publishers, the hand of the designer is more dominant on the page than I would prefer but that probably only reflects the changing colour of my hair.

It seems to me that substantial efforts have been made to run down all aspects of the subject and as Alan has said a good balance is struck between providing the technical detail and properly honouring the achievements and sacrifices of the men who flew these aircraft. The text is supported with large numbers of photos many of which I think will not have been published before. A lot of the technical and operational detail is extracted into appendices. A real bonus however is Juanita Franzi’s artwork and especially her technical drawings which helpfully illustrate the chronological development in the appearance of the different B-17 models flown by the RAF and also illustrate and label the numerous bits sticking out from the airframes.

I hope that Robert is suitably pleased with the outcome

Steve

robstitt
23rd July 2010, 18:30
Many thanks, Steve. PM posted.
Regards:
Robert

jossleclercq
30th August 2010, 11:03
Hello,

The book is mentioned in this french discussion board aviation books critics section :
http://www.aerostories.org/~aerobiblio/article2981.html

A good book it seems

Joss

robstitt
18th July 2011, 21:03
Have just completed an update for my Coastal Command Fortress book which I'm happy to email to anyone who would like a copy. Just send me an email or PM. It will also be posted for download shortly on the MMP Books site.
Regards:
Robert

robstitt
19th July 2011, 23:37
The update is now posted on the MMP Books home page and on the Coastal Command Fortress book page in the MMP White series.
Robert

AlanW
21st July 2011, 05:56
Rob,
Just got my update via email, many thanks for that, look forward to viewing it later when i get home from work.
Regards....Alan.

robstitt
27th November 2011, 21:34
MMP have posted a second downloadable update their web site at:

http://mmpbooks.biz/mmp/books.php?book_id=123

It includes new information on the fate of 251 Sqn aircraft based at Reykjavik and confirmation of more USAAF/RAF serial tie-ups for early B-17Fs retained by the USAAF.

Regards:

Robert

robstitt
26th March 2012, 21:15
MMP have posted a third downloadable PDF update on their web site at:

It now includes information on the training of a B-17C/Fortress I crew in the US and their ferry flight to the UK and the experiences of a test pilot with 218 MU, RAF Colerne, testing Fortresses and other types.

Regards:

Robert

robstitt
16th November 2013, 16:51
MMP have posted a new downloadable PDF book update on their web site at:

Latest additions include a detailed account of the role of Fortress IIA FK192 with the High Altitude Flight and delivery of Fortress Is to the UK.

Robert

robstitt
26th October 2016, 23:31
Hello All:

Have been asked and am advising the forum I did not post the previous posting regarding an update of my Coastal Command Fortress book.

Not sure how to delete it as a moderator but my recommendation to all would be not to respond until I can figure out how. Update: Since deleted as noted in #16.

Robert

robstitt
6th May 2019, 19:08
Hello All:

The revised second edition of Boeing B-17 Fortress in RAF Coastal Command Service is scheduled for publication in June 2019.

Will post again when it's out there.

Robert

CZ_RAF
8th May 2019, 14:55
Well done Robert!

Pavel

robstitt
20th July 2019, 16:34
Hello All:

The second, revised edition of Boeing B-17 Fortress in RAF Coastal Command Service has now been published by MMP Books.

http://mmpbooks.biz/ksiazki/448

In case you have the first edition and are torn as to whether this revised edition is for you, here's an extract from the introduction:

Minor errors in the first edition have been corrected while a number of topic areas have been updated based on new information. The most significant of these relate to the camouflage schemes applied to Coastal Command-bound Fortresses at the time of their delivery to the United Kingdom and the subsequent in-service application of artwork.

Greater detail is now included on the supply of B-17s to Britain under Lend-Lease while background on the decision to assign the Fortress to Coastal Command is presented for what is believed to be the first time. There is also a new chapter describing the Beam Approach Beacon System developed for Coastal Command operations and an expanded chapter describing the handful of Fortress Is detached to Egypt.

Related topics such as B-17Es operated by the USAAF in ‘RAF-style’ camouflage, B-17Fs in USAAF service marked with Air Ministry serials and the delivery of the twenty B-17Cs purchased by Britain have also been added.

There are over 80 new photographs, diagrams, tables and document extracts while the scale drawings have been updated based on newly-available Boeing documents.

A further nine appendices and a photo essay chronicling a Fortress I pilot’s war in the Middle East are available on the MMPBooks website via URL links and QR codes.

Please note that amendments to the first edition prepared by the Author have appeared online. Their content has been revised and the originals should be considered out-of-date.

Robert

COL BRUGGY
26th July 2019, 15:42
Hi Rob,

Have just pre-ordered your latest on CC Fortresses (not available where I purchased it until 28th July). Had a look at the MMP/Stratus site, can't see anything about additional appendices on their website. Could you be more precise on their location?

Col.

robstitt
26th July 2019, 19:11
Hi Col:

Many thanks for taking up the second edition.

The online appendix listing with url and QR links appears after the table of contents in the book, page 4 as it happens.

Cheers:

Robert

COL BRUGGY
27th July 2019, 04:41
Rob,

Thanks for the reply. Will attend to the matter as soon as the book arrives.

Information much appreciated.

Col.

robstitt
21st November 2020, 18:46
For anyone with a copy of the second edition of my Coastal Command Fortress book, I've produced a 10-page Additions and Amendments document.

Am happy to send a copy of the PDF file. My email address can be found here:

https://sites.google.com/site/spartanairservices/other-books-boeing-b-17-fortress-in-raf-coastal-command-service

Robert

paulmcmillan
25th November 2020, 10:05
Hi Rob
"Require Access" to your google drive Paul

robstitt
8th January 2021, 23:12
Paul,

Have gathered from several sources, including yourself, that Google drive isn’t something everyone wants to get into - please correct me if I’m mistaken in terms of its ease of use.

In the meantime I’ve removed what I thought was a nifty scrollable window containing the Additions and Amendments document and replaced with an offer, including a link to my email, to forward the PDF.

Will send you a copy via email - thanks again for your contributions to its content.

Robert

Thanks for bringing up the issue

Matt Poole
28th September 2022, 04:53
I just went through all three pages of this thread, and I'm surprised -- make that disappointed -- that I didn't previously comment on Rob's stellar book. I have both his original edition and the second, revised edition, and I am just so pleased to have these. Not only is Rob's research and attention to detail impeccable, but the printing and layout by MMP Books is tops. Bravo to Rob and to the publisher!