View Full Version : 430429 - Unaccounted airmen - 29-4-1943

Henk Welting
8th May 2010, 17:22
A - What was the place of death registration for LAC William ROSS - 999749 - 929 (Balloon) Sqn (Queensferry, Glasgow) - DOAS.

B - What was the unit and cause of death of LAC Bryard B. BLACK - RCAF R/74151, not found in Flight Global, buried South Gower, Ontario, Canada.

C - What was the cause of death of:
Sgt Derek A.K. TREBLE - 1335183 - commemorated on Panel 167 of the Runnymede Memorial and reported 'missing believed killed on active service' in Flight Global.

Regards and thanks for your help.

8th May 2010, 17:34
Treble was recorded under the 28th April by No.1 Torpedo Training Unit, Turnberry.

April 28th 1943, “Wellington LB.239 crashed in sea – Pilot Sgt Wright (Sgt Treble WOP/AG killed)”

The Station Medical Officer recorded the loss on the 29th so it looks like a possible night flight from the 28th. The other 'casualties' were injured.

April 29th 1943, “Wellington Aircraft crashed in sea – 4 casualties – 1 missing. Hampden Aircraft crashed in sea – 4 casualties.”

8th May 2010, 18:11

LAC William ROSS - 999749 - 929 (Balloon) Sqn (Queensferry, Glasgow) age 38 : death registered at Govan, Glasgow.


8th May 2010, 18:18
Hi Alan,

Hampden was P1198, pilot Sgt Batchelor, crew rescued.


Henk Welting
8th May 2010, 18:21
Thanks Al & Douglas for this valuable info; much appreciated.

13th May 2010, 13:41
Byard Black is listed in the Lethbridge Herald May 5 1943, Died from Natural Causes.

3rd April 2018, 11:52

LAC William ROSS - 999749 - the Statutory Death Register on the Scotland's People website recoards that he died at 2.50 p.m. at 1301 Govan Road (at that time the Southern General Hospital, now Queen Elizabeth University Hospital), Glasgow, due to coronary thrombosis.

LAC Bryard B. BLACK - RCAF R/74151 - his R.C.A.F. records record that he died at the Station Hospital, R.C.A.F. Station Arnprior, Renfrew County, Ontario, also due to coronary thrombosis. He was taken ill soon after leaving the station in a car to travel to his home at Hallville, Ontario but was returned to the station and died shortly afterwards.