Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.50 ORBs

Thanks

Default 3.50 ORBs

Coo..

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/squadron-operations.asp

3.50 for download of sections of AIR 27 ORBs

Got to be good value for a month range of records

Just tried a couple. not bad but you need to watch the date range. varies from a few pages to several pages.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015 to 2021 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

I've put this on another forum as well, why would the NA treat these Digital Microfilms differently to the Digital Microfilm set for AIR 78, or is this all about yield management.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Hi Alan,

Just my feelings not based on any official reason form the TNA but:

The AIR 78 are very large and take a considerable time to down load. If they were available in this form on a TNA intranet most of the activity on the comms lines would be sending these to requesting terminals.

To split up AIR27 into month pieces would allow faster access with less comms activity between server and terminals. There is a precedent as this is what was done with AIR 50.

However this would suggest that AIR 27 microfilm would eventually be phased out with digital taking the demand.

Just like microfilm AIR 27 taking over from paper in the past.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.

Thanks

Thank you for sharing this information Ross. At long last I have been able to fill in many hitherto unknown details of 76 Sqn ops during the years 1916 to 1941 - 25 years/30 pages for just 3.50!

Thanks again

With all good wishes

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 15th February 2012 at 21:50. Reason: editing the post

Thanks

I think it's a bit of a cheek selling what appears to be, the 540's separatley from the 541's. I noticed that the months are duplicated in pairs, and on closer inspection it does appear from the numbers of pages in each pair, that they have possibly split each month into two sections. So it really means that you pay 7.00 for a month in reality.
    Last edited by AlanW; 15th February 2012 at 21:13.

Thanks

My needs for AIR 27 access polarises into two cases.

1. Peroid based research.
    Here I am interested in the squadron as a whole and will look for both 540 and 541 over several months. Difficult to pin down to a specific aim rather getting a feeling for scale and intensity of operations.

2. Event based research.
    This is normally for a relative or to eliminate a casualty from a list. I know the date just need to see what the ORB says about it.

In terms of use I consider I will check for a specfic event via the online download at 3.50/7.00 for event based research but will order the whole reel for general period based research.

I suspect that the family type researcher will start as event based but then quickly rack up more than the 20.00 reel cost in looking at possibly 6 months of previous operations for an individual.

Regards
    Ross

Thanks

Excellent. I have bought many full records for the sake of a few months.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Hello Ross,

I have also purchased the ORBs for 76 Sqn Jul-Sep 1942 which reveal the daily squadron conversion flight movements in narrative form.

Please could you advise me how I can get the forms which give the aircraft and crew details and postings in and out. Clearly I'm overlooking something on the NA site but just cant figure it out. Thank you.

Norman

Thanks

Now you are confusing me Norman.

The narrative description Form 540 is where I would expect to find details of postings in or out.

The event description Form 541 is th e daily work list which gives the individual flight details along with crew.

If you have downloaded one file for the month then you will have one but not the other. What you will not have is both types of record missing.

Go back to the TNA header page
    http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/squadron-operations.asp

Scroll down to What the records look like andlook at the two type of files for No.101 Sqn.

Just above it is a note on the use of "Y" and how to search.

Regards
    Ross

Thanks

On Ross' advice I have just purchased the ORB's for 428 Sqn RCAF from the AIR 27 files. I cannot wait to receive them. I started my research as a family member was with the squadron from mid Aug to mid sept 1943, roughly 6 weeks before he was killed. I have got those weeks in paper form but as with everything things snowball and I have decided to do a bit more indepth research into all the crews that appear in the ORB's. These are in 3 files 1849/50 & 51.
    1849 & 1850 cover 30 months which comes to 105. but if I had gone down the 3.50 route would I have had to purchase these twice? meaning form 540 & 541. This could be a very expensive way to research a squadron although it would be preferable if you need to spread the cost over a longer time. A bit like buying your car insurance monthly.
    As well as this I also ordered 1851 which is the appendices for 1943-1945. Covering roughly 2 years worth. this may have come to a princely sum of over 200 but I got the whole lot for 65 inc p+p. It is worth its while if your research is not going to go overboard to buy by the month but for me buying the lot was the better choice.

Although I prefared the system where you could ask for a specific date range, which is what I did for the paper copies. It seems to me that the TNA have realised that not everyone can get to them to carry out their own searches.

So thanks again Ross for the heads up.

Nick