Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ex-RAF officer found guilty of murder...

Thanks

Default Ex-RAF officer found guilty of murder...

Hi all,

I would like to ask for help with slightly off-topis theme which I was told by one veteran. As I have no prove of his words I will be talking now only in general.

So I was told ...that one of ex-RAF officers in the 50-60s (when I think he was not in the RAF anymore) murdered his wife and possibly her lover too...

Would be possible to find out anywhere any info if it really happened?
    What will happened penned to him if found guilty?
    What will happened with his Order of the British Empire after he was found guilty?

Any advices and information much appreciated.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Pavel

From memory I believe a couple of ex-RAF officers at least fall in this category. Other members will probably respond sooner, but I will start digging.

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

I know of two serving officers who were found guilty of murder, one whilst overseas and the other in UK. However, I do not recall former RAF officers being found guilty of murder but then it would depend on how well reported the crime was and whether the facts that the person was a former officer was made public. It seems probable - in the normal run of things - that former RAF officers would feature in crimes, including murder.

The individual would be subject to the normal justice code, which overseas might include being tried by court martial but in UK would be the normal criminal court system. If/when found guilty, he would be sentenced in accordance with the code under which he was tried but inevitably, he would be discharged from the RAF to serve his sentence in a normal prison.

It is probable that he would forfeit his OBE but there is a formal procedure for the forfeiture of such awards (at one time the VC could be forfeited but - I think it was King George V - who stated that this should not be done except for treason: need confirmation of that).

Interestingly, it is possible that the man would not forfeit all his pension rights! What sometimes happens is that a person discharged for a criminal offence is allowed to keep some or all of their pension up to the point where they commit the crime for which they are discharged. I understand, however, that this is discretionary.

As an aside, there was a very famous murder case in the 1950s where an army sgt murdered his colleague so that he could marry the widow. This took place in BAOR Germany and the lady was a German national.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

There was an RAF Sergeant who was tried and convicted of murder while stationed at No.34 OTU, Pennfield Ridge, New Brunswick (Canada).

He was tried in a civilian court, plead not guilty, subsequently found guilty of the crime and went to the gallows 16 December 1942. He went to the gallows, according to newspapers accounts of the time, wearing a beltless R.A.F. tunic with his sergeant's strips on the arms.

Thanks

Default Ex-RAF officer found guilty of murder

Hello,

I expect the reference was to Neville Heath.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neville_Heath

Quite a trail and just how even in those days of WW2 he could get away with things even to returning by sea (?) to the UK and returning again to service, all that before he murdered.
    I wonder if any research has ever been done in Africa as to wether he just might have done murder there ?

Alex

Thanks

Hello,

Re: the unsavoury "Neville Heath".

Those wishing to learn more about this lowlife and his activities in the RAF, should read:

The History of No.73 Squadron Part I. 1917 to November 1940
    Minterne,Don.
    Dorchester:Tutor Publications,1994.
    pp.19-20, 23 & 250.

Here is a little teaser:

29 October 1944
    No.180 Sqn.
    Mitchell II FV967

Hit by flak Venlo, crew baled out near Eindhoven.

Lt James R C Armstrong SAAF
    F/L F V Silvester
    F/O W H Deane
    73613 S/L William Spurrett Fielding-Johnson MC* DFC RAFVR

One guess who Armstrong really is !

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 15th January 2013 at 11:22.

Thanks

Flight JANUARY 28, 1937.

London Gazette, January 19, 1937
    General Duties Branch

The following Acting Pilot Officers on probation are confirmed in their appointments and graded as Pilot Officers:
    N. G. C. Heath

Thanks

Hi guys

I'm sure Pavel won't mind me hi-jacking his post, but I am intrigued by the airgunner aboard the Mitchell when Heath was shot down.

73613 S/L William Spurrett Fielding-Johnson MC* DFC RAFVR. I've Googled but not found much, especially about his WWI involvement that included two MCs! Was he a WWI pilot? When was he born etc?

Another former RAF Officer who almost commited murder was Grp Capt E.H. "Count" Stevens OBE (CO of 603 Squadron 1939). He shot a rival (but only wounded him) and then shot himself dead. 24/1/1949. More information available (see 'The Greatest Squadron of Them All' Volume I)

Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by brian; 15th January 2013 at 14:12.

Thanks

RE: Ernest Hildebrand Stevens

The account I read was that the man injured while attempting to stop Stevens from shooting himself - what does the greatest sqn say then? - The date being 23 Jan 1949

Thanks

Hi Brian,

Fielding-Johnson's birthday, according to a family tree on ancestry, has his DOB as 8th February 1892 (same birthday as myself, coincidentally - not the same year though!). The photo of him in RFC uniform shows an observers brevet.

Cheers,

Tom
    Last edited by thorne83; 15th January 2013 at 16:13.