Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Sunderland squadrons with bases in India

Thanks

Default RAF Sunderland squadrons with bases in India

Does anyone know what RAF Sunderland squadrons had bases in India in 1943/44?

My cousin has asked for help to research is late father George Burgess who was a flight engineer on Sunderlands, we do not know his rank sergeant probably. All we have is a picture of him in hot weather gear and scrawled on the back is a base name which we cannot read and India 43.

Not much to go on at all. I have found a few web pages that list Sunderland squadrons and bases but nothing seems to be India, I suppose it may have been a temporary stop. I was thinking if we found the squadron we may find him that way.

Cheers
    Rob

Thanks

rob, can you post an image of the scrawled base name - might be illegible for you, but may strike a chord if it rings a bell..

Edit: this may be a good resource Sunderland Squadrons of WW2 by Jon Lake (Osprey Publications)
    http://books.google.com/books?id=RMZ...0creek&f=false

The book mentions 230 Squadron Sunderlands transiting through Korangi Creek (Karachi), Bombay, Cochin, Koggala (Ceylon/Sri Lanka) and Brahmaputra river.
    Last edited by Jagan; 13th May 2014 at 17:35.

Thanks

Hi

I will get a copy of the base name and post it soon, I have only seen it not have a copy with me my cousin still has it.

Thank you for the link thats great, Jon Lake's books are good I will read that.

Cheers
    Rob

Thanks

We know think flight engineer George Burgess may have been in 230 squadron. Does anyone have any ORBs for 1943 for 230 and could look to see if he is in them? I know I can buy them form the archives but as I am only helping out my cousin I reckon he should lol. (not that he will!)

Cheers
    Rob

Thanks

Rob,

Are you certain he wasn't there any earlier than 1943? I have the 230 Squadron ORB up to December 1942. Do you (or your cousin) have a copy of his service record? If not, that would be a good place to start, as it will give a comprehensive list of the units he served with, with definitive dates. Once we know that, we can start looking through the ORBs for you with a degree of certainty, rather than just trying to find his name in pages and pages of ORBs.

Cheers, all the best,

Greg

Thanks

Hi Greg

No we do not know if he was there before 43, he well might have been. We said 43 as we have a picture which is dated then but of course he may have been out there a long time before. No we do not have his service records or anything much on him, he would not talk about the war to his son or anyone. We know he was on Sunderlands and pretty sure he was a flight engineer, we also know he was in India. We were hoping to trace his squadron then dig deeper from there, its an approach I have used successfully before so figured to try it again. We thought 230 Sqn as it seemed to tie up with what we know and its a good as place as anywhere to start, if we are very lucky it is the one and we may even find his service number. Its a bit thin I know :) His full name was George Frederick Burgess and probably a sergeant engineer.

Cheers
    Rob

Thanks

Rob,

You can get his service number from AIR 78 as well.

Download for free from the TNA AIR 78/25 (large documents so will take a bit of time)

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=C4004601

These are the index cards for all RAF Other Ranks from 1918 to mid 1970s.

Only two George Frederick Burgess are listed

635074 (stamped F in a circle)

and

The first card is pre war (Class F reserve graded) and is unlikely for a Flight Engineer unless he was a re-muster from RAF Civilian entry circa 1938/39.

The second card is most likely him as it relates to a serviceman who entered service at RAF Padgate Summer/Autumn of 1941.

To complete the record scan a third card is marked initials only G F for 264229 but relates to a serviceman who entered the RAF on 1918.

Regards
    Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 21st May 2014 at 07:42.
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015 to 2024 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi Ross

Youíre a star thatís great. I didnít know such a list existed or you could get anything free from the TNA. I have downloaded that now and agree with you it would be the second one, George would have been 19 in June 41.

How did you find out it was for a serviceman who entered service at RAF Padgate Summer/Autumn of 1941?

Many thanks
    Rob

Thanks

All the nuggets are in various sections of this forum.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...ervice-Numbers

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015 to 2024 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Awesome :)

Thanks Ross