Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RAF fatalities, 1923

Thanks

For clarity the below is typo

The correct date was 8th August 1923 confirmed by newspaper reports

"08/05/23" JACQUES, Robin - Avro 504K H2002, crashed Spittle-gate

And not 23 August as above either
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 22nd April 2016 at 20:21.

Thanks

Thanks Paul, quite correct - the date on my post was a typo (as I'm sure was Col's, he's not a chap to dispense duff gen!!) and helped muddy the waters. Your date is the correct one, further verified by the crash card in addition to the newspaper reports. Note the lack of a "c" is JAQUES surname though, explained in the narrative in my post on him.

L/O

Greg
    Last edited by greg; 23rd April 2016 at 10:21.
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Born Registered Robert Jaques - wiki has "Robin Rochester Jaques" but i can find no evidence of this London Gazette Robin JAQUES (Lt., R.A.R.O., Army. Educational Corps).
    Married Registered as Robin Jaques -- This is how known in RAF and in RAF Vault
    Death Registered as Robin Jacques -- This is how reported in some papers others have Robin Jaques (Inquest reported as Robin Jaques)

Thanks

Sgt J. Sladden is Sgt Jeffery Royston William Sladden #1083 who is on Air 78 as just J R W Sladden

He can be found variously as Jeffery /Jeffrey/Geoffrey Royston William Sladden and was born in Devonport in 1899 but I can't find him on Find Mat past Airmen records though he is the book A Contemptible Little Flying Corps by I. McInnes J. V. Webb

The other crew member was 345948 AC2 Edward Charles Farmery

The crash is mentioned in the Lincolnshire Echo for June 27th 1923 and Grantham Journal Saturday 30 June 1923 both of which you can read for free if you register for first time on British Newspaper Archives

Thanks

Thanks Paul, I've got all that too. Sladden's was the only service record I couldn't find, but I did find his entry in "A Contemptible Little Flying Corps" - what an interesting chap!! The crash card doesn't say much other than aircraft and crew, but let me know if you haven't got it and want a copy.

I signed up to "British Newspaper Archives" a few weeks ago after pontificating for months - what a fantastic resource it is!! And cheap too, I think I got a half price deal and only paid about 40 for the first year.

L/O

Greg

Greg Harrison

Thanks

Default Re: RAF fatalities, 1923

Paul, I'm returning to this thread as part of my "tidying up" of my 100 Squadron inter-war losses. I've got Sladden, as a Sergeant, listed as the pilot of Vickers Vimy F9163, which crashed and was classified as Cat. W, on the 26th of June 1923. He was on the strength of 100 Squadron at the time.

However, on the 30th of November 1942, a "1256699 AC1 William Sladden" appears in my Roll of Honour, listed as died as a Japanese PoW. Sladden is not, to the best of my knowledge, a common name. Unfortunately, his CWGC gives no background details, but I'm wondering if it's one and the same man, who left the RAF at some point after 1923, but later rejoined. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this Paul.

L/O

Greg

Greg Harrison