Thread: Warrant Officer Kenneth John Crouch - Killed on Active Service 24th July 1945.

Thanks

Default Warrant Officer Kenneth John Crouch - Killed on Active Service 24th July 1945.

Kenneth, a Navigator but with no Squadron listed, is buried in a collective grave in Taukkyan War Cemetery. In the Official Casualty Communique number 604, not published in Flight until the 3rd September 1946, he is down as Killed on Active Service.
    http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2085035/

Now I have to admit my interest is in one of the (probable) passengers, but I seem to have drawn a complete blank on what incident led to the death of 7 individuals who were then buried in a collective grave and now I'm even wondering if it wasn't an air crash at all, even though that would be an obvious explanation.

The other RAF man was a Pilot, Flying Officer John Banks, DFC.
    http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2084196/

The other five were military and appear to be part of the Army Headquarters staff of the recently formed Twelfth Army, set up to take control of South Burma. They are:
    Colonel William Sholto Thessiger Douglass, OBE, aged 42, Royal Engineers
    Captain John Douglas Morgan, MC, 2nd Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment.
    Captain Maurice Albert Brown, aged 30, 10th Battalion, 1st Punjab Regiment, Indian Army,
    Lieutenant-Colonel Andrew Karslake Murcott, Commanding 5th Battalion, 12th Frontier Force Regiment.
    Colonel Edward Knyvet Steward, Army Command and Royal Corps of Signals.

I'm assuming as a Army Command it probably had its own fleet of aircraft which would explain why there are no Squadron details for Crouch and Banks.

Can anyone put an end to my inputting countless variations in Google and tell me the story behind this tragedy !

Thanks in advance

Peter

Thanks

No RAF Air Accident is listed in "Final Landings" for that date in Burma (though one occurs a day after on the 25th - the crew are all different). So it must be some other cause

Thanks

http://menofworth.wikispaces.com/Crouch,+Kenneth

CROUCH, Kenneth John
    Warrant Officer, Navigator, 1430701, Royal Air Force, 3rd T.A.F. No 221 Group Communication Flight, Sulegon, Burma. Only son of Mrs F. Crouch, 16 Sunnyhill Grove, Keighley. Died 24 July 1945 in Expeditor aircraft, serial No KJ 552.
    ferrying army personell (2 Colonels, 1 Lt/Col and 2 Captains on a "Special Mission" Crashed in bad weather at Palam, Burma.
    He had been in the RAF for four years, and all of which he had served abroad apart for eight weeks. He did his flying training in Rhodesia, prior to which he was employed by Keighley Lifts. He was one of the first to join the Keighley air cadets
    See Keighley News, 18 Aug 1945 (Photo)
    Commemorated on the Keighley WW2 plate, The Ingrow (St. Johns) Memorial and the St. Andrews (Parish Church) Memorial.
    All seven in the aircraft were killed and are interred in :-
    Taukkyan War Cemetery, Myanmar, (Burma), Collective Grave, 26 - E - 18 to 24

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alieneyes View Post
    My bad, I was checking 24th July 1946. Colin's Price of Peace does list the accident for 1945 and the occupants..

Thanks

Brilliant - thank you both for your help.

All the best,
    Peter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pappa Romeo Charlie View Post
    Brilliant - thank you both for your help.

All the best,
    Peter
    My grandfather was Capt. Maurice Brown, who was on this flight. I know very little about his service other than that he was an intel officer nominally attached to the Indian Army. I have all the letters he wrote to my grandmother during the war, in the last of which he says that he needs to go on a flight in a few days time that he's not looking forward to. I would dearly like to know more about the circumstances of his death, so any light you can shed would be appreciated.

Philip

Thanks

24 July 1945 in Expeditor aircraft, serial No KJ 552. ferrying army personell (2 Colonels, 1 Lt/Col and 2 Captains on a "Special Mission" Crashed in bad weather at Palam, Burma.
    Only extra detail provided in Colin Cummings' The Price of Peace , Page 334 is that the aircraft encountered engine trouble. Pilot attempted a forced landing but crashed in the process. No information on the "Special Mission"

Originally buried at Mandalay War Cemetery, the CWGC link shows a concentration report of exhumation and reburial at Taukkyan Cemetery

Thanks

Many thanks for the prompt response.

The last letter my grandfather wrote to my grandmother was on 21 July 1945, three days before the plane crash. He wrote: "... I haven't heard from you this week yet, the reason being because I'm at Meiktila... There is a full Colonel in charge here, he's a jolly nice chap and wants me to go with him up to Imphal by air on Tuesday and then down to Kalewa by road and on to Monywa and Myingyan by river..."

In a letter from the India Office to my grandmother dated 30 July 1947: "...it would appear that the temporary burial place was at Kani, and that the permanent grave is in the Mandalay Cemetery."

As you righty say, the officers were later re-buried in Taukkyan War Cemetery, Rangoon.

Philip
    Last edited by devizesman; 22nd November 2016 at 18:11.