Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P/O later S/L Stanley Carter (79230)

Thanks

Default Re: P/O later S/L Stanley Carter (79230)

So, I did a bit more digging on this & found out, through “Observers and Navigators – and other non-pilot aircrew in the RFC, RNAS and RAF” by W/Cdr C.G. Jefford, that it was a last-minute realisation that the RAF would need officer gunners in 1939 and authorisation for gunners to be commissioned was eventually obtained from the financiers on 19th October that year! The regulations "permitted a pre-war RAFVR LAC gunner to apply for a commission at the age of 18, whereas a wartime direct entrant had to be 28". This would explain why these chaps were a bit older........

Thanks

Well done Andrew :)
    I trawled through all the names on the list over a couple of days and could not find any obvious clues about the Officer training for this batch of commissions.I do not think any of them were on the rafunithistories website.
    Quite a few of them did not survive the war and quite a few of them were awarded DFC's.

regards baz

Thanks

Thanks Baz

More luck than judgement, to be honest! Now all (!) I have to find out is where and when George William Leonard was born, and what he was doing before the war. So far, I've identified six potential candidates, so it ain't gonna be easy! But then, I like a challenge!!

Cheers for now

Andrew