Thread: Prison Camp At Hsian, China. List of Names if Possible?

Thanks

Default Prison Camp At Hsian, China. List of Names if Possible?

Hello All,
    One of the lesser known WW2 POW camps set up by the Japanese was at Hoten in China (modern Shenyang GE 41.803738 123.427680). But, more importantly, a sub-camp was set up at Hsian (modern Xiang(?) GE 42.927260 125.149366 - near Liaoyuan). This was designed to house Very Senior Officers (both military and civilian).
    Amongst those accommodated there was the dynamic Lt Gen A E Percival who had masterminded the surrender of Singapore. These VIPs had first been incarcerated on Formosa (modern Taiwan) where several senior RAF officers had died. They were then moved to Hsian. When the USSR eventually declared war on Japan (8 Aug 1945!!!!) the prison camp was liberated by Russian troops. A few days later a US OSS team parachuted in and recovered the VIPs to safety.
    Does anybody know (or knows who does) if any senior RAF officers (Air Rank) were there and their names?
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Re: Prison Camp At Hsian, China. List of Names if Possible?

Hi Peter,

Shenyang seems to have had her fair share of Allied POWs over the years. During the Korean War there were reports of UN POWs being marched through the town.

Anyway, this may help your search. http://www.mansell.com/pow_resources...hoten_main.htm

The nominal roll of November 1944 may help. Pg 52 to 75 has all British officers, NCOs and civilians (Governor of the FMS etc)

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

From prior knowledge, AVM Maltby was among those captured. In
    L&P Stubbs Unsung Heroes of the RAF, he's listed as
    Maltby Paul Copeland* 1199 British commander Java Held Java, Singapore, Taiwan (Karenko, Shirakawa), Japan, Manchuria, Mukden)
    A clue.

Turning to
    Allied POWS Under the Japanese http://mansell.com/pow-index.html
    shows, via the site map, under Manchuria, a key list
    Hsian (with brief note only: "held the high rank officers- 100 KM North east of Mukden"
    and
    Hoten/Mukden (with numerous live refs to rolls, rosters)
    the Hoten POW Camp (Mukden, China) page details these incl
    Mukden/Hoten Roster 1944-11-01
    with
    "Folder 7: Name List Hoten POW Camp - November 1, 1944.
    Includes American officers, chief warrant officers and enlisted men, British officers, chief warrant officers, non-commissioned officers, privates and civilians. Australian officers and enlisted men, Canadian officers and Dutch officers, chief warrant officers, non-commissioned officers, privates & civilians."
    http://mansell.com/pow_resources/cam...hoten_main.htm

The British Officers roll p52 to p59 of the images includes these RAF Air rank officers
    Maltby Paul Copeland Air VM
    Modin Charles Oscar Frithiof Air Com (also Mukden in Stubbs)
    Staton William Ernest Air Com (also Mukden in Stubbs)
    http://mansell.com/pow_resources/cam...RG407Bx122.pdf
    best downloaded to read.

Lt/Gen Percival is also on that roll, so presumably the right set. There are other rolls which I didnt examine.

...uh...snap! I guess...
    Last edited by Don Clark; 18th November 2020 at 20:50.
    Toujours propos

Thanks

Hello,

Some background material on the OSS/Operation Cardinal connection:

https://www.academia.edu/1055900/Ope...S_in_Manchuria

and an article (with sources), on the Mukden POW Camp:

https://www.us-japandialogueonpows.o...denPOWcamp.htm

There is also a strange book I have, written by an American POW (Joseph A. Petak), which gives a rather colourful description on what went on at the Mukden POW Camp late in the war.

Never Plan Tomorrow The Saga of the Bataan Death March and Battle of Corregidor Survivors 1942-1945.
    Petak,Joseph A.
    Fullerton:Aquataur,1991.
    ISBN 0-9631609-6-6

The book contains 4 appendices, 3 of which relate to the Mukden Roster and one other (Appendix D), giving an account of an American bombing of the Mukden Camp on December 7, 1944 (pp.494-499)..

The Mukden Rosters (arranged alphabetically), are as follows:

Appendix A - Mukden Roster - Original (p.433-475).
    Appendix B - Mukden Roster - 1945 Contingent [Heads of Government etc.],(pp.476-489).
    Appendix C - Mukden - Remember Those Who Died (pp.490-493).

These lists seem to match the lists mentioned earlier. They are arranged alphabetically and printed, not copies of documents, so legible).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 20th November 2020 at 02:34.

Thanks

Dave/Don/Col (et al),
    Very many thanks for all your time/help/advices. All very much appreciated. All I have tried to do, in the “back office” is to take all this information/data and put them into some sort of modern electronic format. It is for others to manipulate those data to prove/disprove whatever point they are arguing (I would leave it a bit until we see how good the data are)!
    Some of the prisoner lists have been a real eye-opener! I was surprised at how few RAF Senior (Air?) Officers went “in the bag” (even including those who died in Formosa/Taiwan) and ended up at Xi'ian, but I suppose that being Air Force they had a somewhat easier method of evacuation! I make no comment.
    All I want is that these s/sheets are as accurate as possible so that when we fall off our perches, subsequent researchers will be able to rely what we have put together is being as good as it is ever going to get!!
    Thanks again. There is more to be discovered!!
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Resmoroh For This Useful Post:

Don Clark (20th November 2020)