Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Progress With CC Losses Volume 2 & 3

Thanks

Default Re: Progress With CC Losses Volume 2 & 3

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Thank you for your contributions, both on this site and elsewhere, regarding Admiralty Codes. I am grateful for the explanations and as you will doubtless have guessed, I had no understanding of them before.

After some thoughts about these codes, I propose to take the coward’s way out and not try to continue that aspect of Ross’s work at present. There are, to my mind several reasons.

First, I have transferred the accident/loss records from the spreadsheets given me by Ross. Where there is a position quoted, I have used that position and don’t think I can better or add to that in the current climate.

Second, these codes seem to have limited coverage and do not represent what I will call a ‘globally recognised’ unit of measure. It does seem strange that the RAF was using RN codes which the latter were not.

In summary, I think the 80/20 rule might apply and in this case would introduce an unwelcome delay, which I wish to avoid.

I much appreciate your continued interest and if anyone has the full story of the 201 Sqn maintenance boat which sank at Castle Archdale on 14 Oct 42 drowning nine airmen, I should be grateful to hear it.

Colin

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Oldduffer For This Useful Post:

Pierre Renier (17th March 2021)

Thanks

As promised, I wanted to keep you up to speed with “Coastal Command Losses – Volume 2”.

In essence the manuscript for that volume is complete and contains three sections of losses: 1942, 1943 and USAAF and USN losses with CC. There are the usual organisation charts and some sections dealing with things like the formation of the Strike Wings. The list of U-boats, sunk in the period by aircraft or in combination with ships, this is still proving difficult despite almost 80 years having passed. I have, however, made a stab at it but have offered some caveats!

Air Britain’s publications team held a meeting several weeks ago and appointed Geoff Negus to be the editor.

As to the next volume (Vol 3) , I have taken the basics of Ross’s work and have collected through various other sources, a total of 720 aircraft losses, not including USN aircraft. This covers the period 1 Jan 44 to 8 May 45 and after the latter date, the losses ought to be available in: “The Price of Peace”. This leads me to think that coastal training losses and the wider maritime and ‘out of area’ losses could make a further volume, possibly split into two parts. At the moment the Air/27 records are free to download and so I shall be cracking on with that part soonest. There are a few issues with Air/27 and the way the NA has digitised the records but there are also issues with the basic and very variable standards of the original compilations – but too late to do anything about that now!

Colin Cummings

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oldduffer For This Useful Post:

Alex Smart (30th June 2021),Jagan (31st May 2021),Pierre Renier (3rd June 2021),wwrsimon (1st June 2021)

Thanks

Thanks for update - Colin I have sent you an email Paul

Thanks

Hello Colin,
    Any chance that the book will be available for Christmas ?

Thanks

The book is finished as far as I am concerned and within the next few days the draft will go to Geoff Negus at Air Britain who is the appointed editor.

I hope that the manuscript will be generally acceptable to A/B and Ross and I have both agreed our positions re the commercial aspects of the project.

With Covid smashing into everything, there will be some things I want to hold over to volume 3 and I believe that it is important to get the book into the public domain as soon as possible. Until I know what remains before the final sign off, I can't give a forecast but Christmas Day is still 5 months away but I accept that is not long in these things.

I've already started with some stuff for Vol 3 and will be pressing on with that ASAP.

Colin Cummings

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oldduffer For This Useful Post:

Andrew Arthy (22nd July 2021),CZ_RAF (21st July 2021),wwrsimon (21st July 2021)