I'm trying to help a lady who's father's logbook has been lost. The family had it up to 6 years ago, when it was lent to someone , who they believe may have sold it on, and done some other despicable things, but they deny ever having it. Anyway, I appreciate this is a long shot, but I wonder if the name rings any bells ? I know there are collectors on here.

I suggested that she might obtain his service records, and much of his flying hours might be reconstructed from ORB's, assuming the logbook is likely gone forever. Any other advice welcome. Thank you

W/Op Frederick Duncan MacDonald (647339) 3/9/1939 to 19/11/1945

She has his story posted on the RAFBF site :

Mr Frederick Duncan MacDonald.
Born 13 March 1918. Died 2 March 2003. Joined the RAF at 21 years old just before the start of WW2 in 1939. ​Was encouraged to join up with a promise that all that did would be trained in a trade once the war was over.

First posting was as wireless operator ground crew RAF on Malta and was there until the siege of Malta ended which lasted for 2 years and 5 months, finishing in November 1942. Malta suffered 3000 bombing raids, mainly on RAF defences and the ports, and was one of the most intensely bombed areas in the war. The Allied victory in Malta played a major role in the eventual Allied success in North Africa. Dad only weighed 5 stone when he was eventually repatriated back to the UK to Brize Norton.

In Nov 1942, he was posted to Brize Norton as ground crew wireless operator and met Ruth. Then on to Cranwell for training as air crew, which included a wireless maintenance course so that the equipment could be maintained by the operator. All air crew were trained to be rear gunners.

Final posting was around February 1943 until May 1945, when the war ended. Coastal command on Catalina’s, the Battle of the Atlantic based on Shetland. Task was to keep the coast clear of U-boats and protect the Russian food convoys.

Dad had nightmares about the German he shot as short range, who was trying to get to safety as his U-boat was about to submerge out of reach. They got it, but he always reminded us that he was some mother’s son, the date was 3rd August 1944.

The day before the war was officially announced as being over, all aircrew were grounded to save any unnecessary lives. However, Dad wanted to be with his new wife and she was in London .He and the rest of the crew scoured the island to find a pilot in charge of a plane that for any reason, was going south. They found a pilot and his co-pilot with a large 2 man aircraft. Dad and his crew talked him into letting them accompany him. This made 7 men, plus a dog and a bicycle with them. It took off, but due to the weight crashed on landing. Dad and another member of the Catalina crew had to escort the pilot to be charged for flying while all aircraft were banned.